Woman shot in legs after accidental firing at Murray shooting range
MURRAY, Utah — A woman has been transported to the hospital after she was accidentally shot at a shooting range in Murray. The woman will have surgery, with no life-threatening injuries reported.
She was shot after a man accidentally discharged a gun at the range on Saturday afternoon. Surveillance video shows the bullet penetrating completely through three shooting bays before going through both the woman’s legs and being lodged into the wall.
The Murray Police Department said the man set his gun down and left it for a period of time. When he returned to pick up his gun, he forgot it was loaded.
Police said the woman was “in good spirits,” and no charges will be filed against the man — because it was clearly accidental. The man who accidentally shot her was reportedly “very, very distraught”, according to the Murray police sergeant.
Sgt. Ali Richmond with the Murray Police Department emphasized the importance of safety when using firearms.
“Accidents happen all the time, and this was just an unfortunate incident,” Richmond said. “Those rooms should probably be set up better.”
Richmond also said the shooting range bays should probably be designed with concrete walls to avoid an accident like this again.
Today’s Top Stories
- GoFundMe started to remember 8-year-old girl who died in Kaysville parade
- 8-year-old girl in critical condition after getting injured at Kaysville parade
- Police: Gunman fired more than 70 rounds at July 4 parade, 7 dead
- Highland Drive open after closing for hours due to fatal crash involving Coke truck
- Early morning crash on I-15 kills motorcyclist
- Police have arrested a ‘person of interest’ after a mass shooting at July 4th…
- Deuel Creek Fire continues to burn, officials hopeful for more containment
- Fire officials say aerial firework caused brush fire in Saratoga Springs
- Former BYU professor charged with 5 more counts of forcible sexual abuse
- UPDATE: Shooting on TRAX platform leaves one dead, one injured