OAK CITY, Utah — Lt. Gov. Spencer Cox announced the Canal Fire burning in Millard County has escaped its containment due to strong winds, forcing officials to evacuate Fool Creek and Leamington.
Unfortunately we have bad news on the Canal Fire in Millard County near Oak City. Because of strong winds the fire has escaped containment and is threatening structures. Fool Creek and Leamington are being evacuated.
— Spencer Cox (@SpencerJCox) June 28, 2020
Late Saturday, officials said they considered the Canal Fire 100% contained. But winds whipped up overnight Saturday and into Sunday, spreading the flames outside of the containment area.
According to state fire managers, the Canal Fire was about 450 acres as of Saturday night. It was burning near Oak City, northwest of Scipio and east of Delta in Millard County.
This story will be updated.
- Post Malone talks Utah and aliens in almost four hour podcast (pageviews: 9675)
- 128 year old Salt Lake Temple time capsule opened (pageviews: 7223)
- Post Malone is the latest star to call Cottonwood Heights his home | KSLNewsRadio (pageviews: 2208)
- Washington jury awards parents of Susan Powell $98.5 million (pageviews: 2096)
- Transfer trouble? Out-of-state high school football players have their eyes set on Utah (pageviews: 2036)
- Governor approves Logan City's request for mask requirement (pageviews: 1739)
- Post Malone is the latest star to call Cottonwood Heights his home (pageviews: 1737)
- 128 year old Salt Lake Temple time capsule opened (pageviews: 1644)