Canal Fire containment fails, forcing evacuations in Millard County
OAK CITY, Utah — Lt. Gov. Spencer Cox announced the Canal Fire burning in Millard County has escaped its containment due to strong winds, forcing officials to evacuate Fool Creek and Leamington.
Unfortunately we have bad news on the Canal Fire in Millard County near Oak City. Because of strong winds the fire has escaped containment and is threatening structures. Fool Creek and Leamington are being evacuated.
— Spencer Cox (@SpencerJCox) June 28, 2020
Late Saturday, officials said they considered the Canal Fire 100% contained. But winds whipped up overnight Saturday and into Sunday, spreading the flames outside of the containment area.
According to state fire managers, the Canal Fire was about 450 acres as of Saturday night. It was burning near Oak City, northwest of Scipio and east of Delta in Millard County.
This story will be updated.
Today’s Top Stories
- Utah County man pleads guilty to death of West Jordan teenager
- Man arrested in relation to Provo Towne Center Mall bomb threat
- Former American Fork soccer coach arrested on charges of child sexual abuse
- Hidden cameras found in restrooms in U of U Student Life Center, suspect in custody
- Two people hurt in auto-pedestrian collision in Orem
- Officer-involved shooting causes delays on I-15 in Davis County
- SLC Police arrest man for burglarizing two law offices
- Genealogy research now tax deductible for members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
- Be Ready Utah: What you need in your emergency winter car kit
- Salt Lake City Police investigate deadly auto-pedestrian collision