WALLSBURG, Utah– A 24-year-old man from Utah died while swimming at Bear Creek State Park on Sunday.
According to a statement from Utah State Parks, around 2 p.m. Jose Antonio Fuentes-Alvarez from Salt Lake County was swimming in the Rainbow Bay area at Deer Creek State Park. While he was swimming, those with Fuentes-Alvarez’s group noticed him struggling to keep his head above water.
Three people from the group attempted to swim out and help Fuentes-Alvarez while others stayed onshore and contacted 9-1-1. The friends were unable to save Fuentes-Alvarez.
A Utah State Parks Law Enforcement Ranger, a Deer Creek State Park camp host and a Utah Highway Patrol trooper responded to the scene. They were able to help those who sawm out to save Fuentes-Alvarez safely return to shore.
Utah State Parks staff, Wasatch County Search and Rescue, and Summit County Search and Rescue also responded to the area to assist in the search for Fuentes-Alvarez. Around 10 p.m. Utah State Parks ROV team discovered Fuentes-Alvarez’s body using their remotely operated vehicle.
Fuentes-Alvarez’s body was found about 16 feet underwater and 80 yards away from the shore. Authorities say he was not wearing a life jacket.
Utah State Parks advised those swimming in natural bodies of water to take precautions. “These water bodies are much different than swimming pools or other controlled environments. Distances on the water may appear deceiving; and waves, depth, and water temperature can change quickly and dramatically,” stated officials.
Wear a life jacket, always swim with a buddy, and remember that alcohol and water recreation do not mix.”
- Monolith may be gone from Utah desert, but not from Romania – KSLNewsRadio (pageviews: 65535)
- Monolith may be gone from Utah desert, but not from Romania (pageviews: 3973)
- Man says he removed the mysterious Utah monolith – KSLNewsRadio (pageviews: 2683)
- State officials: Utah ready to store, distribute COVID-19 vaccines (pageviews: 2544)
- Are the Covid-19 vaccines safe? (pageviews: 1002)
- Utahns describe COVID-19 vaccines symptoms, feel confident it’s safe – KSLNewsRadio (pageviews: 782)
- Purdue Pharma pleads guilty to federal criminal charges related to nation’s opioid crisis – KSLNewsRadio (pageviews: 764)
- California monolith appears after similar structures disappear elsewhere (pageviews: 694)