New study: Utah high on the list of alcohol-related boating accidents
SALT LAKE CITY — A study released by boatsafe.com shows Utah is high on a list of alcohol-related boating accidents.
The list, comprised of numbers from the U.S. Coast Guard’s Boating Safety Division and Bureau of Transportation Statistics, ranks the Beehive state number 2, with 19.21 accidents on boats where alcohol was involved per 100,000 registered watercraft, where injury, death, or property damage occurred.
Only Maryland had more, with 19.37 alcohol-related boating accidents.
As the July 4 holiday weekend approaches, the study using numbers from 2019 and released this month shows boating and alcohol accidents don’t seem to be restricted to any particular region, with activity spread pretty evenly across the country.
1. Maryland – 19.37
2. Utah – 19.21
3. Washington – 16.35
4. Alabama – 13.08
5. Texas – 12.62
6. Arizona – 11.36
7. Missouri – 11.04
8. Massachusetts – 10.57
9. Illinois – 9.36
10. Florida – 9.08
Today’s Top Stories
- UPDATE: Meteor potentially causes boom that rattles Salt Lake Valley
- CONFIRMED: The noise was a sonic boom, 80 miles from SLC
- How to have the best of both worlds for your house | Home security and curb appeal
- American Fork Police take Walmart shooting suspect into custody
- CEO and President of Intermountain Healthcare announces resignation
- Woman warns of being followed at local store, police say you should report it
- Police arrest suspect in West Valley hit-and-run that killed 11-year-old boy
- Alpine School District restricts 52 library books
- EB off ramp at 3300 S, I-15 closed after a car hit a pedestrian
- Some Utah areas see slight drop in drought levels