HILL AIR FORCE BASE, Utah — Independence Day celebrations across the U.S. may look different this year, as communities cancel fireworks shows to enforce social distancing. But for Northern Utahns, one tradition lives on: the F35 flyover.
Air Force Reserve Pilots from the 419th Fighter Wing will fly over Vernal and Park City Saturday in honor of July 4 — a tradition that is over 30 years old. Utah residents can catch a glimpse of four F-35A Lightning II jets as they fly across the Wasatch Front.
The pilots plan to take off around 9 a.m. — making an appearance over the Salt Lake City area — before landing just after 11 a.m.
The wing typically supports about 20 community celebrations every year for July Fourth, but canceled most this year because of the COVID-19 pandemic. But the tradition will live on, officials say.
Related content: Hill AFB goes high tech
Pilots completing the F35 flyover include Maj. Jeff Harding, Maj. Justin Cleveland, Maj. James Russell and Maj. Dan Toftness — who have a combined 7,7000 flying hours throughout their military careers.
An additional 40 maintainers and support personnel from the 419th Wing and active duty 388th Wing will also be working Saturday to make the flyover possible.
The 419th Fighter Wing is composed of nearly 1,300 personnel who serve part-time in the military, but consider themselves full-time members of the local community. Most live, work and raise their families in Northern Utah — where the flyover will take place on the Fourth of July.
The 419th Wing is the first unit in the Air Force Reserve to fly a deploy with the operational F-35A jet. The 419th and 388th Wings at the Hill Air Force Base fly and maintain a fleet of 78 jets in a Total Force partnership — capitalizing on the strength of both active duty and Reserve components.
- Police investigate shots fired at Provo MTC (pageviews: 6389)
- Full transcript of Lori Daybell secret phone call recording (pageviews: 4540)
- Police investigate shots fired at Provo MTC | KSLNewsRadio (pageviews: 2749)
- Chad Daybell in court, prosecution offers new details (pageviews: 2627)
- Fatal officer-involved shooting in Kearns (pageviews: 2375)
- Transfer trouble? Out-of-state high school football players have their eyes set on Utah (pageviews: 2099)
- Post Malone talks Utah and aliens in almost four hour podcast (pageviews: 1741)
- These companies are working from home until 2021 -- or forever (pageviews: 1733)