South Salt Lake boy seriously hurt after truck crashed into his house
SOUTH SALT LAKE – 10-year-old Zahid Macias was sitting at home with his siblings on Friday afternoon when a speeding pickup truck crashed into his South Salt Lake home, pinning him underneath.
It’s unclear what caused Friday’s accident near 300 East and 3300 South, though police suspect the driver of the pickup may have been impaired.
Family friend Liza Castro said that Zahid was trapped under the truck for 20 minutes. “We thought he wasn’t going to make it because the truck was just all the way inside,” she told KSLTV.
First responders were able to get Zahid out, but his road to recovery is far from over.
Castro said Zahid suffered a fracture on the side of his face, a brain hematoma and a broken femur.
He’s currently at Primary Children’s Hospital where his mom said he’ll have to stay for at least the next 3-4 weeks.
“He was awake this morning, and he sent a voice memo saying the doctors were going to fix him,” said Castro.
Family friends have started a Go Fund Me page to pay for what they estimate is $150,000 in medical expenses.
This will include head and leg surgery, as well as possibly brain surgery and physical therapy.
Zahid’s mother is raising him and his two other siblings, who were not hurt in Friday’s accident, on her own.
The Go Fund Me has been shared among several community groups in South Salt Lake.
People who want to donate to Zahid’s Go Fund Me page can do so here
Today’s Top Stories
- Utah homes have some of the highest levels of radon gas
- New dress code gives West High School students more leeway
- First grade teacher in Magna arrested on felony child sexual abuse charges
- Paragliding crash in Milcreek leaves one in critical condition
- Man in extremely critical condition following motorcycle accident in Little Cottonwood Canyon
- Semi driver dies after driving off side of roadway
- Draper City suing Geneva Rock, the mining company at Point of the Mountain
- Fatal crash near Strawberry Reservoir closes SR-40
- Woman dies in SLC shooting, suspect arrested
- Bluffdale crash involving semi-truck kills one