SALT LAKE CITY– The loose change jar or secret stash of quarters in the car may look a little sparse soon. Coronavirus pandemic shortages have struck again, only this time it’s not toilet paper or disposable gloves, it’s cold hard coins.
Utah businesses across the state have been asking customers to pay with exact change, card, or mobile wallet due to a national coin shortage. Now, the Utah State Liquor stores are following suit. A sign will be posted at every register, requesting people to pay with exact change or other payment methods in an effort to preserve the coins.
Where did all the change go?
“It’s hard to make coin, you know, working from home,” said Howard Headlee with the Utah Bankers Association. He said production is ramping back up, but Headlee’s not predicting when the coin shortage will end.
Trudy Theobald, branch manager of the Bank of Utah in Ogden said they have to be stingy on who gets spare change.
“We can only give out a certain amount of coins to make sure that we have enough for all our customers that we have to help,” said Theobald.
Use your spare change for good
There is a way to can help alleviate the coin shortage. Take your piggy bank full of coins to the bank. Cash in on your coin investment. Bankers will thank you and so will your bank account.
Additionally, those who don’t have access to a bank account and rely on cash to pay for their necessities, need the change. Every coin counts, especially for those who rely on quarters for laundry.
- Southbound I-15 closed Monday morning after road rage, shooting (pageviews: 2815)
- Utah lawmaker opens bill to explore impeachment against AG Reyes (pageviews: 2524)
- UDOT: Southbound I-15 experiencing major delays due to crash (pageviews: 1745)
- Southbound I-15 closed after hit and run, shooting (pageviews: 1515)
- CONFIRMED: The noise was a sonic boom, 80 miles from SLC – KSLNewsRadio (pageviews: 1217)
- Romney supports impeachment trial; new poll shows his support is slipping (pageviews: 1007)
- CONFIRMED: The noise was a sonic boom, 80 miles from SLC (pageviews: 892)
- Two arrests after “clandestine narcotics lab” found in SLC apartment – KSLNewsRadio (pageviews: 797)