WEST JORDAN, Utah — A person is dead and an officer recovering after an exchange of gunfire on Sunday night in West Jordan.
Police say it started with a call from someone saying their pickup truck had been stolen, and they were following it.
Police stopped the truck near 7500 South and 2700 West.
“At some point, we know that at least one suspect came out. There was an exchange of gunfire,” said West Jordan Police Sgt JC Holt.
Holt says the rounds were exchanged between officers and someone in the truck. That’s when one of the people involved was killed, and the officer was shot and wounded.
Officer involved in critical incident that was shot is in stable condition. Suspect name and information possibly will be released tomorrow mid morning. Watch this account for updates. Thanks. Sgt. Holt.
— West Jordan Police Dept. (@WJPD_PIO) August 3, 2020
We are upset with the incident how things happened, we are upset our officer was hurt, we are upset another person was fatally wounded,” said Holt.
We don’t know the name or the age of the person that died. There were some other people taken into custody.
The officer was hit in the shoulder above his ballistic vest.
“I am told he is in good spirits, he is in good condition right now. He was talking to everyone when he left the scene. He is expected to make a recovery. It is a non-life-threatening injury thankfully,” said Holt.
An outside agency will now do an investigation.
- Amber Alert issued for missing six-year-old child (pageviews: 4328)
- Amber Alert issued for missing six-year-old child | KSLNewsRadio (pageviews: 3922)
- The alternative presidential candidate: Jo Jorgensen runs for the Libertarian Party | KSLNewsRadio (pageviews: 1606)
- Man arrested after two Latter-day Saint missionaries stabbed in Texas | KSLNewsRadio (pageviews: 1528)
- Neffs Fire still burning in Salt Lake County | KSLNewsRadio (pageviews: 1514)
- Seraph Young, first female voter, finally gets misspelled headstone corrected (pageviews: 1065)
- Coronavirus Tracker (pageviews: 975)
- Body of a woman found in South Salt Lake Monday (pageviews: 902)