Utah updates rental assistance program during COVID-19 pandemic
SALT LAKE CITY — Renters impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic and who are receiving unemployment benefits are now eligible for rental assistance. Previously, only renters who were not receiving unemployment benefits were eligible.
The $20 million program is aimed at helping renters whose income has been slashed by the pandemic and who have a household income at or below the area median income. Those who qualify for rental assistance can receive up to $2,000 for rent and utility purposes.
“We continue to adjust the housing assistance program as the landscape of the pandemic changes,” said Jess Peterson, State Housing Programs Manager at the Housing and Community Development Division. “Our goal is to help people stay in their homes and maintain the stability of their families during these hard times.”
Since the program launched in May, it’s helped people in 285 Utah households to stay in their homes with a total of $383,103 in rent and rent-related payments.
To learn more about eligibility and where to apply, renters are advised to call 2-1-1 to find their local agency. Callers should be aware that there may be wait times, or that they may need to leave a voicemail message so that staff can call them back.
How To Prevent the Spread of COVID-19Coronavirus
COVID-19 coronavirus is transmitted from person to person. It is a virus that is similar to the common cold and the flu. So, to prevent it from spreading:
- Wash hands frequently and thoroughly, with soap and water, for at least 20 seconds.
- Don’t touch your face.
- Keep children and those with compromised immune systems away from someone who is coughing or sneezing (in this instance, at least six feet)
- If there is an outbreak near you, practice social distancing (stay at home, instead of going to the movies, sports events, or other activities.)
- Get a flu shot.
Utah Coronavirus Information Line – 1-800-456-7707
Today’s Top Stories
- New dress code gives West High School students more leeway
- Man in extremely critical condition following motorcycle accident in Little Cottonwood Canyon
- Woman dies in SLC shooting, suspect arrested
- Bluffdale crash involving semi-truck kills one
- One person in critical condition after Sunday night shooting
- Double stabbing sends grandmother and grandson to the hospital
- KSL EXCLUSIVE: Photos of topless women at U of U football game who may face charges
- Home improvement tip: Increase the value of your home by weatherproofing doors
- First grade teacher in Magna arrested on felony child sexual abuse charges
- Crash in Vernon closes Highway 36