VIDEO: Underground Provo party draws criticism
PROVO, Utah — Party score: “Young/Dumb: 1 – Karens: 0”
That’s the way that the Provo-based party company Young/Dumb described their Friday night Underground dance party held at a small venue near University Avenue and 300 South, just a block away from the Utah County Health Department.
The party came after organizers said their earlier plans for a dance party were canceled due to the virus.
“Due to the health & welfare of the owners of the mansion and the reality of COVID-19, we have decided to cancel the August 7th Mansion Dance Party. However due to us not being little [expletive removed] we are replacing it with THE UNDERGROUND DANCE PARTY,” organizers posted on social media.
View this post on Instagram
Organizers promised mocktails, energy drinks, water and, “hella attractive people!!”
Co-founder of Young/Dumb Kwaku El agreed to speak to KSL’s Dave and Dujanovic on Tuesday, but he did not appear for the interview.
Videos posted to the company’s Instagram feed show a crowded venue with many in close quarters and few, if any, masks.
View this post on Instagram
Those who were in attendance were told before to make sure they came early because attendance would be limited due to COVID-19 concerns. They were also asked to wear face masks and practice social distancing but, as BYU’s Daily Universe reports, neither regulation was enforced.
Currently, Utah County falls under the state’s “Yellow” or low-risk phase. Here, state guidelines do allow for entertainment events to take place so long as event organizers can ensure, “Physical distancing is promoted and maintained… Face coverings are worn by individuals when physical distancing is not feasible… [and] extra hygiene and sanitization practices are in place.”
The party drew criticism from many online.
The clowns were out in Provo last night 🤡 young and dumb as sh!t 🤡🤡🤡 pic.twitter.com/dOpWTQPAaN
— Kylee (@kybair) August 8, 2020
People in Provo for real paid $10 to be sober and get COVID.
— Liz (@itslizhowell) August 9, 2020
Today’s Top Stories
- Missing girl from Arizona found in West Valley basement
- Utah County men facing charges for defrauding the United States
- Backcountry skier dead after fatal fall in Little Cottonwood Canyon
- AirMed responds to tubing accident in Peter Sinks, Logan
- SLCPD officer witnesses wrong-way drunk driver crash into embankment
- Elk herd again on the move near Foothill Drive and Parley’s Canyon
- Intermountain’s 40-year study provides insight into weight-loss surgery
- A Utah lawmaker and her sister at odds: Should rape victims need to contact police before…
- UHP arrests man suspected of trafficking New England teen
- China says it ‘reserves the right’ to deal with ‘similar situations’…