Utah State Parks getting ready for Labor Day weekend
SALT LAKE CITY – Utah’s state parks took a hit earlier this year with the outbreak of the COVID-19 pandemic, issuing regulations that scared away many foreign tourists.
However, Utah State Parks spokesman Eugene Swalberg said they were quickly able to pick up the slack.
“Some of our southern Utah parks, during the early spring, had lots of visitors from our neighboring states,” Swalberg said. “Overall, it’s been a great summer as far as visitation.”
That’s one of the reasons the state parks system is preparing for a big rush this Labor Day weekend.
The other is increasing demand as Utahns vacation closer to home.
“The visitation increase from July 2019 to July 2020, just for those months, was over 20%,” Swalberg said.
It’s not just popular parks like Jordanelle that can sometimes burst at the seems, according to Swalberg. Lesser-known parks have had to put in reservation systems to handle all the traffic.
“Many of our state parks have seen their visitation rise to the level where they need to start restricting parties and recreators from coming in for a time,” Swalberg said.
An upside from all this increased business is the parks are planning to pay for much-needed upgrades to its infrastructure.
Swalberg recommends people who want to go to the state parks over Labor Day to check if they need a reservation first.
Visitors will also need to wear masks and social distance from others.
Today’s Top Stories
- CDC confirms five monkeypox cases in Utah
- Suspect taken into custody after firing shots in Kearns
- Two people injured in Brigham City two-vehicle crash
- Sen. Mike Lee fends off 2 opponents to win Utah GOP primary
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints reacts to Roe v. Wade
- ‘Jingle Bells’ was originally written as a Thanksgiving song
- SLCPD shuts down area near 700 East following fight at yoga studio
- Intermountain Healthcare study finds “better” IV fluid treatment
- Breyer makes it official: He’s leaving the Supreme Court on Thursday at noon
- Sandy police report two child abduction attempts involving silver SUV