Arctic storm system to bring high winds and cold temps to northern Utah
SALT LAKE CITY — The National Weather Service in Salt Lake City has issued a High Wind Warning for areas in northern Utah along the Wasatch Front and other parts of Utah due to an arctic storm system that will be hitting the state tonight into Tuesday.
What to expect
The National Weather Service said that the arctic storm will bring strong downslope winds to parts of the Wasatch Front, Uinta Basin, and Castle Country.
Gusty winds are expected in western Utah and the canyons of Washington County.
Winds will reach up to 60 mph for the most part but in Farmington, Centerville, and northwestern Utah, winds are expected to reach 60-85 mph they said.
The strong winds from the winter storm system are expected to cause power outages and property damage.
They also said near blizzard conditions and snow accumulation is expected for the Uinta Mountains as well as for the Book Cliffs/Wasatch Plateau and southwest Wyoming.
Temperatures are expected to drop to around 30 degrees below the seasonal normals on Tuesday. The rapid cooling can result in frost they said.
How to prepare
The National Weather Service says that if you are in one of the impacted areas to secure lawn furniture so they don’t get blown away by the strong gusts that are expected.
Also, prepare for possible power outages that may occur overnight.
Additionally, if you are in one of the affected areas, be sure to protect sensitive vegetation.
Today’s Top Stories
- Two people dead in Taylorsville after shooting
- Unified Police looking for missing teen from Holladay
- Washington County authorities investigating shooting of seven cows
- Utah Little League player, after fall from bunk bed, is making progress
- Utah middle school bans phones from entire school day
- Church announces names of 2 future temples; another temple rededicated
- Victim of fatal accident identified, SR 190 reopens in Big Cottonwood Canyon
- UPDATE: Meteor potentially causes boom that rattles Salt Lake Valley
- Three arrested for obstruction of justice in WinCo murder case
- Utah judge cancels hearing on trans athlete ruling in favor of written opinion