Latter-day Saints cleared for weekly meetings as local conditions allow, church says
SALT LAKE CITY — The First Presidency of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints says members may now return to weekly meetings, so long as local conditions allow, with approval from Area Presidencies.
In a letter to members, church leaders said weekly worship services could begin immediately, if Area Presidencies sign off, based on local conditions.
Stake conferences can resume in November, “when assigned by the President of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles and as circumstances and technology allow.”
According to a Church Newsroom release, local leaders will have discretion over whether weekly sacrament meetings or state conferences are held in-person or virtually. For the most part, many Latter-day Saints in Utah had resumed weekly meetings with some COVID-19-specific precautions in place, but not all wards have been meeting weekly.
“We are grateful for inspired patterns of ministering and home-centered, Church-supported efforts that allow the Lord’s work to move forward in current conditions,” the First Presidency said in the letter.
The letter offered four guiding principles for local church leaders during the pandemic. They advised local leaders to “Remember members by name and nourish them spiritually and temporally,” “Strengthen members and help them bear their burdens,” “Uplift one another and create unity through activities,” and “Gather members often to fast, to pray and to speak concerning the welfare of their souls.”
Under those guidelines, church leaders said in addition to sacrament meetings, youth meetings, activities and service projects can move forward “as local circumstances allow.”
The letter, signed by President Russell M. Nelson, President Dallin H. Oaks and President Henry B. Eyring, is available online here.
- Church breaks ground for Orem Temple
- No Tabernacle Choir Christmas concert in 2020, church says
- Church moves to three international magazines starting in 2021
- Pandemic accelerates Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints missionaries’ transition online
Today’s Top Stories
- Missing girl from Arizona found in West Valley basement
- Elk herd again on the move near Foothill Drive and Parley’s Canyon
- Bill would allow individuals to become teachers without a bachelor’s degree
- Check your pantry, a Conagra canned meat recall may affect you
- UHP arrests man suspected of trafficking New England teen
- A Utah lawmaker and her sister at odds: Should rape victims need to contact police before…
- Credit union will pay for larger dog adoptions this weekend
- As two federal pandemic emergency-assistance programs near an end, Cox has solutions
- Court says gun law targeting domestic violence suspects is unconstitutional
- Intermountain’s 40-year study provides insight into weight-loss surgery