SALT LAKE CITY — Senator Mitt Romney says he has already turned in his ballot and when asked who he voted for president in the upcoming general election, he says he didn’t cast his vote for President Trump.
In a conversation with CNN, Senior Congressional Correspondent Manu Raju the Utah senator told him he’s voted, but declined to say who for.
Raju broke the news on his personal Twitter account, saying Romney only told him, “I did not vote for President Trump.
Mitt Rommey told me he already voted in the elections but he wouldn’t say if he voted for Joe Biden or wrote someone else in.
“I did not vote for President Trump,” he said
— Manu Raju (@mkraju) October 21, 2020
KSL NewsRadio reached out to Romney’s Press Secretary who confirmed he did not vote for President Trump. Although, Romney did not tell us who he voted for.
Earlier this year, Senator Romney said he was going to stay quiet about his 202o presidential vote.
In the 2016 election, Romney said he voted for his wife, Ann.
Romney’s recent tension with President Trump
It’s no secret. Senator Romney and President Trump haven’t always agreed on policy and leadership. Romney has been increasingly vocal about the president’s politics, even voting for his impeachment in 2019.
However, most recently, Romney has spoken out against President Trump’s rhetoric surrounding the upcoming election and elected representatives.
“The president calls the Democratic vice president ‘a monster;’ he repeatedly labels the speaker of the House ‘crazy;’ he calls for the Justice Department to put the prior president in jail; he attacks the governor of Michigan on the very day a plot is discovered to kidnap her,” Romney wrote in a social media post.
Romney also criticized the president for not committing to a peaceful transfer of power if he were to lose the election. The Utah senator expressed his concern for the comment made by the president on Twitter.
“Fundamental to democracy is the peaceful transition of power; without that, there is Belarus. Any suggestion that a president might not respect this Constitutional guarantee is both unthinkable and unacceptable,” tweeted Romney.
The story is breaking and will be updated.
- Two missing teens from Taylorsville last seen in SLC – KSLNewsRadio (pageviews: 4545)
- The mystery of the Utah monolith found in the desert – KSLNewsRadio (pageviews: 1485)
- Ogden Police Department confirms shots fired Wednesday night – KSLNewsRadio (pageviews: 1327)
- Utah health officials release 2 days worth of COVID-19 numbers – KSLNewsRadio (pageviews: 1072)
- 26 more Utahns dead of coronavirus as infection rates drop – KSLNewsRadio (pageviews: 932)
- Utah health officials release 2 days worth of COVID-19 numbers (pageviews: 831)
- Contests (pageviews: 805)
- Thanksgiving side dishes battle it out for the crown – KSLNewsRadio (pageviews: 635)