SALT LAKE CITY– Utah continues to have record-breaking COVID-19 case numbers. On Friday, the state reported 1,960 new coronavirus cases, setting a record for single-day infections.
State epidemiologist Dr. Angela Dunn warned residents Friday morning the Utah Department of Health (UDOH) would be releasing high COVID-19 numbers.
Today is going to be a record day of new COVID-19 cases in Utah. Arizona was at this point over the summer. Here is a great summary of how they decreased their cases by 80% in one month – https://t.co/309JQLiBRE
— Dr. Angela Dunn (@DrAngelaCDunn) October 23, 2020
When numbers were officially released, Gov. Gary Herbert issued a statement warning Utahns the state is “on the brink.”
“This is a record day for Utah — but not a good one,” the governor said. “Cases of COVID-19 are at an all-time high, and I am deeply concerned that COVID exhaustion is as well. Now is not the time to let down your guard.”
COVID-19 hospitalizations on the rise
Another concern for health officials is the rapid increase in COVID-19 hospitalizations. The UDOH reported 313 people are hospitalized with the coronavirus as of Friday. Out of the 313 people, 109 are in the intensive care unit (ICU).
“Up until now, our hospitals have been able to provide good care to all COVID and non-COVID patients who need it,” Gov. Herbert said. “But today we stand on the brink.”
The governor called on Utahns to limit social gathering and encouraged the use of masks in public spaces and where physical distancing isn’t possible.
“If Utahns do not take serious steps to limit group gatherings and wear masks, our healthcare providers will not have the ability to provide quality care for everyone who needs it,” warned Herbert.
Friday’s 7-day rolling average for positive COVID-19 cases sits at 1,355 per day with a positive infection rate of 15.8%.
“By public health order, masks are required in 21 counties,” the governor said. “Wear one any time you are around someone outside your immediate household, even when around extended family or friends.”
There were also four more Utahns who died from COVID-19 Friday.
- Utah lifts gathering restrictions on private property, switches back to “transmission index” – KSLNewsRadio (pageviews: 14286)
- Utah lifts gathering restrictions on private property, switches back to "transmission index" (pageviews: 8983)
- Two missing teens from Taylorsville last seen in SLC – KSLNewsRadio (pageviews: 4442)
- Ogden Police Department confirms shots fired Wednesday night – KSLNewsRadio (pageviews: 1099)
- US agency ascertains Biden as winner, lets transiton begin (pageviews: 903)
- Developers roll out new COVID-19 test that also detects influenza and RSV (pageviews: 807)
- Two missing teens from Taylorsville last seen in SLC (pageviews: 804)
- The mystery of the Utah monolith found in the desert – KSLNewsRadio (pageviews: 762)