One dead, another seriously hurt in shooting in Midvale
MIDVALE, Utah — One woman is dead and a man was rushed to the hospital in serious condition after a shooting in a hotel parking lot in Midvale. Investigators say they seek two possible suspects, with very little other information to go on.
Police were called to the scene of the Tru Hotel by Hilton in Midvale on 7200 South near I-15, after a report of an attack with a weapon, which eventually turned into reports of a shooting. When officers arrived on the scene, they found a woman dead in the parking lot.
Unified Police Sgt. Melody Cutler says the shooting also wounded a man who ran to the nearby Winco Foods for help.
“He was initially treated by the Winco employees who made makeshift tourniquets. An officer came in and applied another tourniquet. He is currently in serious condition at IMC,” Cutler said.
Officials expect the man to fully recover.
Police recovered a weapon on the scene, but could not say if it was the only weapon involved or if there was more than one shooter. They also don’t know the motive, yet.
“We don’t know if there was a relationship of any sort between both the parties who were shot or who may have done this and what transpired,” Cutler said.
Investigators say witnesses saw a man and a woman leaving the scene on foot; however, the description of them is vague.
“The only description we have of them is the male was wearing dark clothing and the female had on a floral shirt and jeans,” she said.
Police are trying to find the two people who left the scene, as well as people inside a white 2005 Cadillac that may have been nearby when the shooting happened. Cutler says they hope to find a lot of surveillance footage from security cameras from the hotel and the grocery store.
Today’s Top Stories
- Man dies during performance at Battle Creek Field of Flight Air Show
- Layton City is under extreme firework restrictions
- Update: Vehicle crashes into Famous Footwear, leaving four injured
- Herriman mother saved by off-duty police officer
- UPDATE: Shooting on TRAX platform leaves one dead, one injured
- 5 Ways You’re Watering Your Lawn Wrong
- One person dead in three-vehicle crash in southern Utah
- Fireworks and some open flames are now banned in Park City
- ‘Jingle Bells’ was originally written as a Thanksgiving song
- State of Utah files lawsuit against pharmaceutical retailers