Small plane makes emergency landing on I-80 near Jeremy Ranch
SUMMIT COUNTY, Utah — A small passenger plane made a landing on I-80 near Jeremy Ranch, Utah Highway Patrol officials reported Saturday. The pilot, Jackson Walker, made a safe landing with no damage to the aircraft or injuries to him and his passenger.
The two passengers took off from Idaho Falls earlier Saturday, planning to land in Provo. However, Walker noticed his oil pressure drop to “completely zero” mid-flight causing his engine to cease.
“It ended up being a scenario you’d never want to have happen,” Walker said. “If your engine ever goes out, you want to make sure you’re over a highway or have some place to land.”
Walker said he tried restarting his engine “several times,” but it didn’t work. So, he flew over I-80 hoping to make it to another airport in Heber.
However, Walker said he soon realized he had to land the plane sooner than he thought.
PCFD BC 3, Engine 35 and ambulance 35 responded to a small airplane that made an emergency landing on I 80 Jeremy Ranch…
Walker — who’s only been a private pilot since June — flashed his landing lights to alert oncoming cars he would be landing on the highway. A nearby driver noticed the plane coming down and alerted cars to slow down traffic.
“[The driver] said he was a pilot as well and saw me coming down and he started swerving to slow down traffic behind us that created more room,” Walker said.
As Walker touched ground, he said he tried to maintain the same speed as traffic until he could bring the plane to a stop.
After the landing, the two passengers pushed the plane off to the shoulder to no longer block traffic.
Today’s Top Stories
- Man dies during performance at Battle Creek Field of Flight Air Show
- Update: Vehicle crashes into Famous Footwear, leaving four injured
- Layton City is under extreme firework restrictions
- One person dead in three-vehicle crash in southern Utah
- ‘Jingle Bells’ was originally written as a Thanksgiving song
- Herriman mother saved by off-duty police officer
- State of Utah files lawsuit against pharmaceutical retailers
- 5 Ways You’re Watering Your Lawn Wrong
- Opinion: Is it time to retire the $100 bill and move to cashless society?
- 8-year-old boy struck by car in Riverton, suffers head injury