Pelosi wants Capitol police chief to resign and calls for President Trump to be immediately removed from office
WASHINGTON– House Speaker Nancy Pelosi is seeking the resignation of Capitol Police Chief Steven Sund a day after supporters of President Donald Trump stormed the Capitol.
The California Democrat also said Thursday that House Sergeant-at-Arms Paul Irving, another key security official, had already submitted his resignation. He reports directly to Pelosi, while Sund answers to both House and Senate.
Incoming Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer said he’ll fire the Senate Sergeant-at-Arms Michael Stenger.
Lawmakers have mixed praise for the Capitol Police with harsh criticism for the outfit, which was overwhelmed by Wednesday’s mob and unprepared for it.
House Speaker Nancy Pelosi is also calling for President Donald Trump to be immediately removed from office or Congress may proceed to impeach him.
Pelosi on Thursday joined those calling on the Cabinet to invoke the 25th Amendment to force Trump from office. It came a day after a violent mob of Trump supporters stormed the Capitol, forcing the building into lockdown. Trump called them “very special” people and said he loved them in a video that was removed from Facebook. Twitter also limited engagement on the President’s video.
“The president of the United States incited an armed insurrection against America,” she said at the Capitol.
Pelosi claimed he could do further harm to the country. “Any day can be a horror show for America,” she said.
Democrats and some Republicans want Trump removed before his term ends on Jan. 20, following Democrat Joe Biden’s inauguration.
The 25th Amendment allows for the vice president and a majority of the Cabinet to declare the president unfit for office. The vice president then becomes acting president.
Today’s Top Stories
- Utah County men facing charges for defrauding the United States
- Missing girl from Arizona found in West Valley basement
- Five Common Causes of Cervical Cancer – and What You Can Do to Lower Your Risk
- AirMed responds to tubing accident in Peter Sinks, Logan
- As two federal pandemic emergency-assistance programs near an end, Cox has solutions
- 3 injured after port-a-potty truck took a spill on I-80 in Tooele County
- Intermountain’s 40-year study provides insight into weight-loss surgery
- Don’t put dogs in truck beds, Utah Humane Society says
- 10 famous Utah ghost towns and where to find them
- Inside Sources: Kayaker tells his story of survival on the Great Salt Lake