No-go for Joe Exotic: Trump pardon list omits ‘Tiger King’
OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) — One name missing in President Donald Trump’s last-minute list of pardons is “Tiger King” Joe Exotic.
His team was so confident in a pardon that they’d readied a celebratory limousine and a hair and wardrobe team to whisk away the zookeeper-turned-reality-TV-star, who is now serving a 22-year federal prison sentence in Texas. But he wasn’t on the list announced Wednesday morning.
Joe Exotic, whose real name is Joseph Maldonado-Passage, was sentenced in January 2020 to 22 years in federal prison for violating federal wildlife laws and for his role in a failed murder-for-hire plot targeting his chief rival, Carole Baskin, who runs a rescue sanctuary for big cats in Florida. Baskin was not harmed.
Maldonado-Passage, who has maintained his innocence, was also sentenced for killing five tigers, selling tiger cubs and falsifying wildlife records. A jury convicted him in April 2019.
In his pardon application filed in September, Maldonado-Passage’s attorneys argued that he was “railroaded and betrayed” by others. Maldonado-Passage, 57, is scheduled to be released from custody in 2037, but his attorneys said in the application that “he will likely die in prison” because of health concerns.
Maldonado-Passage’s legal team did not immediately respond to a request for comment early Wednesday.
The blond mullet-wearing zookeeper, known for his expletive-laden rants on YouTube and a failed 2018 Oklahoma gubernatorial campaign, was prominently featured in the popular Netflix documentary “Tiger King: Murder, Mayhem and Madness.”
Today’s Top Stories
- Confrontation with bicyclist sends UTA bus driver to hospital
- 21-year-old woman killed in Provo hit-and-run
- Sugar House locals worry 2100 South poses threat to safety and business
- Is forcing the homeless into treatment the answer?
- Air Force unveils newest stealth bomber aircraft
- Former American Fork soccer coach arrested on charges of child sexual abuse
- 12 Mason Jar Gift Ideas for the 12 Days of Christmas [with recipes!]
- Morning storms impact school schedules
- Former Utah Sen. Jake Garn to be honored with art tribute on Saturday
- The best tools for Deaf and hard-of-hearing workplace success