Salt Lake man offers his yard to those experiencing homelessness
SALT LAKE CITY — There are only a few more days left, but until February 19, people who are experiencing homelessness in Salt Lake City are welcome in the yard of Darin Mann.
Mann told KSL TV reporter Andrew Adams that he began this project in mid-January, in part as a reaction to Salt Lake City government’s handling of the homelessness issue in Utah’s capital city.
“It’s been going great so far,” Mann said. “No drugs, no violence, or you’re out. One strike policy.”
Mann says his neighbors have had mixed reactions to the encampment in his yard. And it’s made an impression on a few of Mann’s new tenants, too.
“If homeowners put their stuff on the line, like Darrin has,” said Brandy Najera, who’s staying at the camp, “maybe a lot of us would have more hope.”
Mann has settled on a limit of ten people experiencing homelessness who can camp on his yard at one time. However, health officials have ordered the camp to be removed by the 19th of this month.
- A zoning change means another option for the homeless in SLC
- How a TED Talk and a used van turned this teen into a fighter for the homeless
- OPINION: A Utah homelessness czar is priority one
We want to hear from you.
Have a story idea or tip? Send it to the KSL NewsRadio team here.
Today’s Top Stories
- Gwyneth Paltrow ski crash trial begins in Park City, lawyer calls it “B.S.”
- UHP: Three people dead in two-vehicle crash in Kane County
- USU grad files lawsuit against university for racist caricature
- D2 gets to the bottom of the impending arrest of former President Trump
- 16-year-old dead, 2 other teens injured in fatal crash in Juab County
- Death penalty off the table for Lori Vallow Daybell
- Utah Flooding: How to prevent and mitigate the risk
- Brighton hits a milestone with 700 inches of snow
- BYU announces new president
- Utah Rivers Council selling discounted rain barrels as effort toward water conservation