Five bars temporarily closed for violating COVID-19 health orders
SALT LAKE CITY — The Salt Lake County Health Department has temporarily closed five bars and clubs for violating the state’s public health orders regarding COVID-19.
Five establishments temporarily closed
The establishments temporarily closed include Echo, Karma, Lake Effect, Twist and 60 West Market Street (formerly known as the New Yorker.)
According to health officials, the five locations reportedly violated one or more of the state’s three requirements for operating during the pandemic. Under the public health order, each staff member must wear a face mask while working. Additionally, each patron who enters the business must wear a face mask and practice at least six feet of physical distance, including in entrances or exits.
Echo, Lake Effect and Twist previously received written warnings for not meeting COVID-19 health order requirements.
Echo previously received a Notice of Violation & Order of Restriction in September of last year. They later filed a lawsuit with the county health department over the restrictions.
The complaint was filed in 3rd District Court. It claimed the enforcement efforts made it impossible to follow the law. They also claimed the restrictions severely damaged their business.
To reopen, each business must send a written plan to the county health department explaining how they will begin complying with and enforcing the health order.
Both Lake Effect and Twist have already sent those plans to Salt Lake County; health officials approved those plans, meaning the establishments can resume business operations.
Additionally, three more establishments received written warnings over the weekend. Those businesses are Soundwell, Wasted Space and London Belle.
All three were able to remain open, although they could face possible closure if repeated violations occur.
Today’s Top Stories
- UPDATED: Utah House overturns Salt Lake, Summit county mask mandates
- UPDATE: Wrong way car crash on Bangerter Highway results in death of 19-year-old
- Wordle, the easy online word game that’s easy to love
- FBI says Brian Laundrie took responsibility for Gabby Petito’s murder
- BREAKING: Gun in shooting outside Hunter High purchased in Utah in 2013
- Police now have persons of interest in Moab double murder case
- “Work on what matters to America,” says Cox in State of the State
- U of U scientists test gel contraceptive for men, hope to ease burden of birth control for women
- “Not unexpected” said Dr. Dunn after mask mandates in Utah shot down
- Overdue skier found dead after hours of search and rescue efforts