Utah Board of Higher Ed. names interim University of Utah President
SALT LAKE CITY — The Utah Board of Higher Education (Board) has named Dr. Michael L. Good as interim president of the University of Utah.
Dr. Good’s position as interim president will take effect in April 2021. And when the search for a permanent president has been completed, Dr. Good will return to his current roles as CEO of University of Utah Health, Dean of the University of Utah School of Medicine, and Senior Vice President of Health Sciences.
“Dr. Good is highly qualified and well-prepared to take on the interim role at the University of Utah,” said Nina Barnes, Vice-Chair of the Utah Board of Higher Education in a statement.
“Dr. Good has worked to advance the university’s health system and has led both it and the more than 20,000 talented faculty, staff and students, who make up University of Utah Health, over the last two and a half years.”
The Board is confident that he will see the University of Utah successfully through this transition. We congratulate Dr. Good on this appointment and are thankful for his dedication to the long-term success of the institution.”
The current president, Ruth V. Watkins, revealed last month that she would step down as president of the school in April 2021.
At that time, Watkins said she was going to accept a position as president of a private firm, Strada Impact.
The Utah Board of Higher Education oversees the selection of a new president for public universities in the state. A committee will host public meetings to update residents about its progress and to seek input about qualifications and ideal candidates.
Today’s Top Stories
- How to have the best of both worlds for your house | Home security and curb appeal
- Thousands of dead fish are washing up along a California river. It’s because of a…
- President Joe Biden officially cleared to emerge from isolation following rebound Covid-19 case
- Low water levels at Utah Lake cause restrictions for Daybreak
- UPDATE: Flooding, road closures, and power outages in SLC
- Utah company, Lions Not Sheep ordered to cease “made in USA” claims
- UPDATE: Flood advisory for portions of Salt Lake Valley and Davis County
- The mysterious companies behind Costco’s Kirkland Signature and Trader Joe’s O’s
- Utah Highway Patrol responds to head-on crash on U.S Highway 6
- Top scientist admits ‘space telescope image’ was actually a slice of chorizo