Utah Board of Higher Ed. names interim University of Utah President
SALT LAKE CITY — The Utah Board of Higher Education (Board) has named Dr. Michael L. Good as interim president of the University of Utah.
Dr. Good’s position as interim president will take effect in April 2021. And when the search for a permanent president has been completed, Dr. Good will return to his current roles as CEO of University of Utah Health, Dean of the University of Utah School of Medicine, and Senior Vice President of Health Sciences.
“Dr. Good is highly qualified and well-prepared to take on the interim role at the University of Utah,” said Nina Barnes, Vice-Chair of the Utah Board of Higher Education in a statement.
“Dr. Good has worked to advance the university’s health system and has led both it and the more than 20,000 talented faculty, staff and students, who make up University of Utah Health, over the last two and a half years.”
The Board is confident that he will see the University of Utah successfully through this transition. We congratulate Dr. Good on this appointment and are thankful for his dedication to the long-term success of the institution.”
The current president, Ruth V. Watkins, revealed last month that she would step down as president of the school in April 2021.
At that time, Watkins said she was going to accept a position as president of a private firm, Strada Impact.
The Utah Board of Higher Education oversees the selection of a new president for public universities in the state. A committee will host public meetings to update residents about its progress and to seek input about qualifications and ideal candidates.
Today’s Top Stories
- When it’s this cold, keep your pipes from freezing. Here’s how.
- The road home is in need of donations and volunteers this winter
- Governor Spencer Cox signs transgender bill, releases statement
- South Jordan could see new housing development
- Herd of elk pushed away from I-80 and moved back into mountains
- Monday morning’s cold temperatures nearly set new records
- Weather causing delayed starts for several schools across Utah
- Why is there an increase of wildlife in SLC neighborhoods?
- Head on collision reported, State Route 73 closure
- Freezing weather causes delayed start for Cache County School District schools