OREM, Utah — The popular city-wide celebration of Summerfest in Orem is expected to fully return this summer and similar events could reportedly follow suit.
Return of summer fun… without a mask?
Orem residents are now preparing for a full week of “Summerfest” in early June. The official website for the summer celebration has updated their dates this year for June 7-12, 2021.
On the website, event organizers laid out some of the possible concerns, including whether Utah County will grant a mass gathering permit.
“This is ultimately the question that will decide what we can [or] can’t do,” a post on the site reads.
Organizers said they’re planning on having a car show and pool party in the middle of the week, while a carnival component would come back for Friday and Saturday.
Additionally, they’ve identified the carnival and parade as carrying the highest risk for a large gathering.
Last year, Summerfest was moved back to August and officially deemed as “Summerfest Lite.” The truncated event in 2020 still included food, music, fireworks and a parade.
Setting up a plan B
According to the event website, there is still a chance that it could be moved back a couple of months this year.
“This is a decision we believe we need to make no later than March, but it will depend on where we are with getting a Mass Gathering Permit and what the vaccination rates are looking like,” it reads.
The news comes as Governor Spencer Cox has shared some optimism about loosening COVID-19 restrictions in parts of the state.
I’m really baffled by the pessimism we keep hearing from DC. Almost all the science (including concerns about variants) is overwhelmingly positive. With vaccine numbers soaring, I truly believe that we will be celebrating maskless in large groups by the 4th (if not sooner). https://t.co/aOYDqRudjV
— Spencer Cox (@SpencerJCox) February 23, 2021
According to him, maskless gatherings in large groups could be possibly by July 4, if not earlier.
I have an idea for a future in-depth report. How do I tell you about it?
Today’s Top Stories
- Opinion: A Former Coachman’s Waitress Says Farewell
- Do You Suffer From Intimacy Pain, Pressure, or Leaking? Here Are 7 Ways You Can Get Relief…
- Pandemic child abuse reports down, but Utah cases did not go away
- Looking for Something Fun to do With Your Whole Family? 3 Fun Things To Do in Logan Utah
- More than 500k Utahns qualify for ‘zero-dollar,’ lower premium health care plans
- What is an accessory dwelling unit? How ADU’s can help your finances, future, and your…
- Don’t run out of money in your retirement | Potential retirement solutions to help you…
- Senators Romney and Lee sign letter to oppose lifting ban on earmarks
- Before you book your family trip: Here’s what you need to know about Bear Lake rentals…
- My father is an addict — one child’s letter about addiction