Digital tablets for Davis County inmates to make phone calls
DAVIS, Utah- All inmates booked into the Davis County Jail will be issued digital tablets when they arrive– but it doesn’t connect to the internet. Instead, the SecureView tablets allow inmates to make phone calls and access jail programming, such as mental health support. They’ll be able to search the jail’s law library and sign required documents for free.
However, if they want to download one of the approved list of movies or listen to music, they’ll have to pay for that. Sheriff Kelly Sparks said a monthly subscription will run for $5, with additional charges for individual items.
“The fees are pretty typical of what you’d see of any vendor, $2 or $3 for a movie or a dollar for a song they’d choose to download,” Sparks said.
The download fees pay for the whole system, with no taxpayer funds being used. The money comes from the inmates’ jail accounts, and families can contribute to allowing more downloads.
The plan to provide tablets to inmates ran into criticism on the sheriff’s Facebook page. One commenter wrote, “[…] criminals are criminals and they will find a way to misuse this.”
Others defended the program, calling the plan “an amazing opportunity for those incarcerated” that will help them stay in touch with their families.
We want to hear from you.
Have a story idea or tip? Send it to the KSL NewsRadio team here.
Today’s Top Stories
- Drug Enforcement Administration warns of new substance appearing in Utah
- Tabernacle Choir at Temple Square will be joined by international singers this weekend
- Lawyers of man who lost lawsuit against Gwyneth Paltrow may try for new trial
- Meteorologist says only a couple more weeks of snow and rain
- Utah company with ties to polygamous group cited for violating child labor laws
- Alta wins the race to 800 inches, more snow expected Friday afternoon
- The search for the caller behind Utah’s 13 school hoaxes
- Church leaders travel the world ministering to all people
- General Conference of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
- As the snow melts, cases of canine giardia can increase