Concern over substitute teacher shortages in Ogden
SALT LAKE CITY — School districts across Utah report trouble filling all their substitute teacher needs, but in some areas, it’s harder than others.
ESS Substitute Teacher Services provides substitute teachers for 4 school districts and 2 charter schools. They say it’s particularly hard to find a willing substitute teacher in Ogden.
Vice President of Operations for ESS, Joseph Fitzgerald said, “We don’t have a high fill rate in Ogden. We definitely need people in that area.”
Fitzgerald suspects one reason may be because the people available to work as a substitute teacher in Ogden tend to skew older than substitutes in other areas such as Alpine and Utah County, where they are not having a problem getting substitutes into the classrooms.
“I know in Alpine we have skewed younger of our sub-pool, which has helped us, where Ogden has skewed older… individuals have been more hesitant to work because of more risk,” Fitzgerald states.
Fitzgerald went on to say, “I actually was advocating that it was more important to vaccinate substitutes over full-time teachers because substitutes could be in five different buildings in the same week.”
“Every school district that we have worked they have included our staff to have access to the vaccine,” said Fitzgerald.
- Do substitute teachers need sensitivity training? A new bill would require it
- Salt Lake City School District faces substitute teacher shortage
- Two Canyons District science teachers will be flying high with NASA
Today’s Top Stories
- Herd of elk pushed away from I-80 and moved back into mountains
- SLC restaurant “Manoli’s” nominated for James Beard Award
- Governor Spencer Cox signs transgender bill, releases statement
- Utah leading a lawsuit against new ESG rule affecting 401(k) plans
- Three vehicle crash in Sanpete County leaves one dead
- Engineer who refused to approve Challenger launch dies in Ogden
- Jordan High student killed in Sandy crosswalk by school bus
- Two Republicans voted against bill banning transgender-related surgery, here’s why
- More protests today after release of video depicting the deadly police beating of Tyre Nichols
- Bystander finds dead body in Salt Lake foothills above Beck Street