Concern over substitute teacher shortages in Ogden
SALT LAKE CITY — School districts across Utah report trouble filling all their substitute teacher needs, but in some areas, it’s harder than others.
ESS Substitute Teacher Services provides substitute teachers for 4 school districts and 2 charter schools. They say it’s particularly hard to find a willing substitute teacher in Ogden.
Vice President of Operations for ESS, Joseph Fitzgerald said, “We don’t have a high fill rate in Ogden. We definitely need people in that area.”
Fitzgerald suspects one reason may be because the people available to work as a substitute teacher in Ogden tend to skew older than substitutes in other areas such as Alpine and Utah County, where they are not having a problem getting substitutes into the classrooms.
“I know in Alpine we have skewed younger of our sub-pool, which has helped us, where Ogden has skewed older… individuals have been more hesitant to work because of more risk,” Fitzgerald states.
Fitzgerald went on to say, “I actually was advocating that it was more important to vaccinate substitutes over full-time teachers because substitutes could be in five different buildings in the same week.”
“Every school district that we have worked they have included our staff to have access to the vaccine,” said Fitzgerald.
- Do substitute teachers need sensitivity training? A new bill would require it
- Salt Lake City School District faces substitute teacher shortage
- Two Canyons District science teachers will be flying high with NASA
Today’s Top Stories
- How to have the best of both worlds for your house | Home security and curb appeal
- CEO and President of Intermountain Healthcare announces resignation
- Police arrest suspect in West Valley hit-and-run that killed 11-year-old boy
- Some Utah areas see slight drop in drought levels
- Delivery truck crashed into four parked cars, Salt Lake City Police say
- Alpine School District restricts 52 library books
- American Fork Police take Walmart shooting suspect into custody
- Woman warns of being followed at local store, police say you should report it
- Some Utah lawmakers trying to get rid of clergy exeption in state’s mandatory child…
- Authorities identify suspect who attacked author Salman Rushdie at western New York event