SALT LAKE CITY — The team behind “COLD: Susan Powell Case Files,” a hit podcast hosted by investigative reporter Dave Cawley, announced Wednesday its topic for season 2: the murder of Joyce Yost, whose body remains missing.
KSL Podcasts released a special season preview for season two of COLD ahead of the first episode, which will be available April 7, 2021, on Amazon Music.
“Listeners may have heard of Joyce Yost’s story, but the decades-long search for justice after her life was horrifically stolen is one that they will never be able to forget,” said Sheryl Worsley, director of Podcasting for KSL.
Justice for Joyce
In April 1985, headed home after a dinner date, a man kidnapped and raped Yost, then threatened to kill her if she told anyone what happened. In defiance of that threat, she called 911.
Police ultimately caught up with the man responsible, but too late to provide justice for Yost. She was murdered, her body never found, even though Doug Lovell eventually confessed to the crime and awaits a death sentence.
In a twist, Lovell continues to fight his conviction in spite of that confession. Now 63, Lovell tried to argue his attorney did not properly prepare witnesses, among other things. A judge in Ogden denied that argument, based on Lovell’s second conviction, earlier this year.
Giving victims a voice
Dave Cawley investigated the case for the COLD podcast.
“The Joyce Yost case was the last successful no-body homicide prosecution in Utah prior to the disappearance of Susan Powell,” Cawley said. “Joyce Yost had her voice stolen from her. COLD aims to give Joyce her voice back, just as it did for Susan Powell in season one.”
Both seasons of COLD will stream free on Amazon Music after the season two premiere, April 7. Listeners can follow along at amazon.com/coldpodcast and via the Amazon Music mobile app. You can also ask Alexa to “Play the COLD Podcast” on your Echo device.
I have an idea for a future in-depth report. How do I tell you about it?
Today’s Top Stories
- Verdict is in: Chauvin guilty of George Floyd’s death
- Opinion: A Former Coachman’s Waitress Says Farewell
- Dr. Angela Dunn to leave state health department for Salt Lake County
- More than 500k Utahns qualify for ‘zero-dollar,’ lower premium health care plans
- Utah State University football player faces 8 charges, including rape
- Do You Suffer From Intimacy Pain, Pressure, or Leaking? Here Are 7 Ways You Can Get Relief…
- Pandemic child abuse reports down, but Utah cases did not go away
- Face masks required in Utah national parks, but not in all gateway cities
- Dogecoin jumps 20% as crypto fans declare Doge Day
- What is an accessory dwelling unit? How ADU’s can help your finances, future, and your…