SALT LAKE CITY — Salt Lake leaders are calling on the community to denounce hate speech and acts of violence against people of Asian and Pacific Islander descent.
Salt Lake leaders speak on hate crimes, speech
In the last year alone, nearly 3,800 instances of violence against people of Asian and Pacific Islander lineage were recorded nationwide.
State Sen. Jani Iwamoto of Salt Lake City said many Asian-American families are living in fear in Utah.
“Instances are occurring,” she explained Tuesday while speaking at the Salt Lake County Government Center. “We know that fear exists within our Asian businesses and communities. We are not immune.”
Iwamoto called on all Utahns, no matter their ethnic background, to take a more active role in fighting racism. That includes actually reporting acts of hate, instead of turning a blind eye.
“Words matter and have been attributed to [the] rise in anti-Asian violence,” she says. “Actions matter. If we see hateful behavior, we cannot idly stand by.”
Also speaking at the press conference were Salt Lake County Mayor Jenny Wilson, Rep. Karen Kwan of Murray, Salt Lake County Sheriff Rosie Rivera and Salt Lake County District Attorney Sim Gill.
According to Iwamoto, the racially diverse group of leaders should serve as an example statewide that diversity connects — and does not separate — all Utahns.
“Our demographics here are changing, [and] our diversity should be celebrated,” she said.
The press conference comes a week after a series of shootings at three Atlanta-area massage parlors that left eight people dead, six were identified as Asian women.
I have an idea for a future in-depth report. How do I tell you about it?
Today’s Top Stories
- Verdict is in: Chauvin guilty of George Floyd’s death
- Opinion: A Former Coachman’s Waitress Says Farewell
- Dr. Angela Dunn to leave state health department for Salt Lake County
- More than 500k Utahns qualify for ‘zero-dollar,’ lower premium health care plans
- Utah State University football player faces 8 charges, including rape
- Do You Suffer From Intimacy Pain, Pressure, or Leaking? Here Are 7 Ways You Can Get Relief…
- Pandemic child abuse reports down, but Utah cases did not go away
- Face masks required in Utah national parks, but not in all gateway cities
- Dogecoin jumps 20% as crypto fans declare Doge Day
- What is an accessory dwelling unit? How ADU’s can help your finances, future, and your…