SALT LAKE CITY — A new poll related to gun control and safety in the wake of a number of recent shootings suggests a growing number of Utah voters support at least some form of reform.
The poll, from the Deseret News and the Hinckley Institute of Politics, found just 11% of registered Utah voters do not support any gun control reform.
Poll: Utah voters favor at least some gun law reforms
65% of all registered Utah voters in the poll would support requiring universal background checks to buy a gun. However, specific restrictions gathered less support. For example, just 34% supported a ban on assault-style weapons, and 29% percent supported stronger restrictions for carrying concealed.
The poll, conducted by Scott Rasmussen between March 26 and 31, surveyed 1,000 registered Utah voters. It has a margin of error of 3.1%.
Support for universal background checks when buying a gun was stronger among Utah Democrats than Republicans in the poll. 86% of Democrats support universal background checks, compared to 47% of Utah Republicans.
Concealed carry law takes effect next month
This new poll came just shortly after Utah lawmakers voted to drop requirements that those who carry concealed must have a permit to do so in the state. The bill, signed into law by Gov. Spencer Cox, will take effect May 5.
Also recently, the U.S. Marshals Office in Salt Lake City reported finding more guns on fugitives arrested by its strike team.
I have an idea for a future in-depth report. How do I tell you about it?
Today’s Top Stories
- UPDATE: SR-190 reopened after fatal crash in Big Cottonwood Canyon
- Update: Two deputies wounded, suspect dead, after shooting near the Salt Lake County Metro Jail
- McDonald’s is leaving Walmart, and Walmart is looking for new options
- Armed suspect killed in exchange of gunfire with SLCO Deputies
- Looking for Something Fun to do With Your Whole Family? 3 Fun Things To Do in Logan Utah
- With These 4 Things to Do In Moab Utah, Are You Ready for Your Next Family Adventure?
- Wasatch Academy: How This Boarding School Has Become The Model of Coronavirus Classroom…
- What is an accessory dwelling unit? How ADU’s can help your finances, future, and your…
- A Unique Utah School Combines Incredible Adventure and World-Class Education: So What Can…
- Latter-day Saint church leaders say normal is ‘getting closer’ in Utah