First red flag warning of 2021 issued for Uinta Basin
SALT LAKE CITY — The Salt Lake City branch of the National Weather Service (NWS) has issued a red flag warning for the Uinta Basin, the first such warning for 2021 the agency said.
1PM – Our first Red Flag Warning of 2021 went into effect at noon today for the Uinta Basin. Two sites are already reporting humidity values below 15% and wind gusts 25 mph or greater, which are critical fire weather conditions. Exercise extra caution to prevent fire starts #utwx pic.twitter.com/3n6zPzTXbN
— NWS Salt Lake City (@NWSSaltLakeCity) April 4, 2021
A red flag warning means that conditions like temperature, humidity, and wind are expected to combine and could pose an increased risk of fire danger.
The NWS says these conditions now exist and could combine for an early start to the fire season in southwest Utah, the Uinta Basin, as well as the Henry Mountains.
The agency says these conditions could remain in eastern Utah until Tuesday.
But a cold front is expected to move through the state beginning late Monday into Tuesday. It could bring light snow to the northern Utah mountains and will return temperatures back to more seasonal expectations.
A red flag warning also directs residents to proceed with extreme caution if they are allowed to burn (in burn barrels) in their area.
Cigarettes should be extinguished inside a vehicle instead of being tossed outside the window. Throwing them out of a window could ignite dry grass and start a wildfire.
And all outdoor fires must be extinguished properly, by drowning fire with plenty of water and stirring the ashes to assure everything is cold to the touch.
Today’s Top Stories
- Weather causing delayed starts for several schools across Utah
- Herd of elk pushed away from I-80 and moved back into mountains
- Five Common Causes of Cervical Cancer – and What You Can Do to Lower Your Risk
- Governor Spencer Cox signs transgender bill, releases statement
- Schools, commute delayed by early morning lake effect snow
- ChatGPT: Plagiarism super-tool for students or AI brainstorming generator?
- A Google analysis shows which words are the most confusing to Americans
- Man throws Molotov cocktail at New Jersey synagogue in arson attempt, police say
- Jordan High student killed in Sandy crosswalk by school bus
- Three vehicle crash in Sanpete County leaves one dead