Child safe, after SLC SWAT called to residence on Saturday night
SALT LAKE CITY — A two-year-old child is safe with family and a suspect is under arrest after what was reported as a possible kidnapping on Saturday night.
Francisco Yanagui, 24, is described as a primary suspect and was arrested for kidnapping, violating a protective order, and resisting arrest.
Salt Lake police assisted West Valley City police
Salt Lake City Police responded to a residence at 713 N. Starcrest Drive after the West Valley City Police Department contacted them and asked for help with arresting Yanagui, a non-custodial parent.
A representative for the Salt Lake City Police Department said they made contact with Yanagui soon after, but that he resisted arrest. The arrest attempt was hampered, said Lt. Lisa Pascadlo, by other family members on the scene.
“Numerous family members came to his aid,” Pascadlo told KSL, “to the point that officers had to remove themselves from the situation and allow him to retreat into the house.”
Salt Lake City SWAT called in
According to police, Yanagui kept hold of the child and refused to come out of the house.
That’s when Salt Lake City police called in their SWAT team, who attempted to negotiate with the suspect.
Pascadlo says those negotiations ultimately failed, leading the SWAT team to enter the residence and take Yanagui into police custody.
The child was unharmed.
Three other adults were also arrested, as well as a juvenile, for obstruction of justice according to police.
According to police records, Yanagui was arrested for child kidnapping, assault, burglary, criminal mischief, and domestic violence in the presence of a child in December, 2020.
If you or someone you know is dealing with a domestic violence situation, please call the 24-hour helpline of the Utah Domestic Violence Coalition. The number is 1-800-897-5465.
Today’s Top Stories
- Murray Police warning public to be on lookout for scam
- Three-vehicle crash in Stansbury Park sends two people to hospital
- Nations largest pig farm exposed, two face criminal charges
- Crash involving RV leaves one dead
- Water levels indicate that Utah’s water conservation efforts are working
- Teen arrested, suspected of aggravated murder in Salt Lake City
- ‘I can’t do this’: Fort Myers Beach woman calls for help as Hurricane…
- At Alpine school board meeting, Natalie Cline claims district allows porn in classrooms
- How facial plastic surgery and skincare are joining forces
- Lisa Garner has support of Draper mayor to become next city judge