UDOT expects nearly 200 projects across the state in 2021
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah — The Utah Department of Transportation is warning drivers that construction all over the state will start ramping up soon.
Construction season starting all over the state
Officials say 185 projects will be ongoing throughout 2021, although many of those projects are carryovers from previous years.
Robert Stewart, UDOT regional manager, says more people moving to the Salt Lake Valley means more construction is needed.
“Most citizens within Utah see the tremendous growth that is happening,” he explained. “A lot of these projects are dedicated to meeting that demand.”
The 185 total projects are wide-ranging, all the way from minor repairs to brand new construction.
“Everything from sidewalk improvements all the way to highway reconstruction or new highways for the West Davis corridor,” he said.
@UDOTRegionTwo is giving us a preview of construction upcoming this year. Throughout the state, you can expect to see nearly 200 total projects. More all afternoon on @kslnewsradio 🚗🚌💨 pic.twitter.com/E5OYGSWtH1
— John Wojcik (@wojKSL) April 15, 2021
Many of the projects are continuations from 2020, including the interchange work on Bangerter Highway.
“The Bangerter Highway project, which has been under construction for over a year now, we are closing major interchanges which will impact peoples commutes,” said Stewart.
Specifically, drivers can expect the east/west closure of 126th South at Bangerter Highway to remain in place until August.
Lane closures and restrictions are coming
Additionally, a repaving project on I-80 between 13th and 23rd East will create lane restrictions as soon as next month.
UDOT is also planning on repaving S.R. 248 from S.R.224 to the U.S. 40 interchange. The project is also upgrading a series of pedestrian ramps and restriping the corridor to add a westbound shoulder-running bus lane for about 2 miles.
That construction is expected to start in June and will continue through fall. Because of that, drivers can expect daytime lane closures and possible flagging throughout construction.
Today’s Top Stories
- Herd of elk pushed away from I-80 and moved back into mountains
- Governor Spencer Cox signs transgender bill, releases statement
- Jordan High student killed in Sandy crosswalk by school bus
- Three vehicle crash in Sanpete County leaves one dead
- Two Republicans voted against bill banning transgender-related surgery, here’s why
- Utah leading a lawsuit against new ESG rule affecting 401(k) plans
- Utah Senate passes transgender-related surgery ban for minors
- SLC restaurant “Manoli’s” nominated for James Beard Award
- Salt Lake City traffic stop leads to drug bust, illegal gun recovered
- More protests today after release of video depicting the deadly police beating of Tyre Nichols