More than 500k Utahns qualify for ‘zero-dollar,’ lower premium health care plans
- “Zero-dollar” premium health insurance options will be available to nearly 250,000 Utahns
- Another 290,000 Utahns can apply for lower-premium health insurance options
- The deadline to apply is Aug. 15, 2021
SALT LAKE CITY — In the wake of massive layoffs across the country due to the COVID-19 pandemic, an estimated 12 million Americans have lost access to their health insurance, according to the Economic Policy Institute. However, the latest COVID-19 relief package expanded ‘zero-dollar’ premium and lower-premium health care options to over 500,000 Utahns.
“Access to quality, affordable health care is essential – especially as we tackle the COVID-19 pandemic and its aftermath,” said Secretary Xavier Becerra with the Department of Health and Human Services. “Since the beginning of this special enrollment period’s availability on healthcare.gov, more than 500,000 Americans have already signed up for coverage on healthcare.gov.”
And since the American Rescue Plan allotted more funds to health care coverage, nearly 250,000 Utahns qualify for zero dollar plans. That includes almost 100,000 with no insurance and another 176,000 currently signed up but who need to look again.
Additionally, approximately 290,000 Utahns can apply to receive lower premium health care plans.
In other words, if you haven’t applied for health care or want to shop around, now may be the time. Utahns can apply for health care and shop options until until Aug. 15 on healthcare.gov.
You can also call 1-800-318-2596.
Today’s Top Stories
- US military has shot down the Chinese spy balloon off US East Coast, US official says
- Missing girl from Arizona found in West Valley basement
- Backcountry skier dead after fatal fall in Little Cottonwood Canyon
- More than 1,500 dead as powerful quake hits southern Turkey and Syria
- Bill permitting pregnant people to use HOV lane passes House
- 2 arrested in central California shooting that left 6 dead, including mother clutching…
- Utah County men facing charges for defrauding the United States
- Winter blues: light therapy and lifestyle changes can help
- UHP arrests man suspected of trafficking New England teen
- Elk herd again on the move near Foothill Drive and Parley’s Canyon