Utah State University football player faces 8 charges, including rape
LOGAN, Utah — The Utah State University football player arrested on allegations of sexual assault is facing eight different charges, including rape, a first-degree felony.
Authorities also filed one count of burglary, three counts of forcible sex abuse, two counts of criminal trespassing and entering, and one count of intoxication against Ismael (Izzy) Kalani Vaifo’ou. Of those charges, five are felonies and three are misdemeanors.
Vaifo’ou is currently being held at the Cache County Jail. No bail has been set for the former USU football player.
What reportedly happened that night
According to a probable cause report, Vaifo’ou is suspected of breaking into multiple dorm rooms on campus. And in one reported instance, laid down in a female student’s bed without her consent, wearing nothing but his underwear. The student said she pushed Vaifo’ou and told him to get out of the room.
Campus police said a witness who spoke with the woman after reporting the incident, told them Vaifo’ou sexually assaulted her. Additionally, the witness claimed Vaifo’ou entered his room, along with other rooms, that night. The witness also told police Vaifo’ou seemed intoxicated at the time of the reported assault.
When law enforcement came in contact with Vaifo’ou, they said he showed signs of alcohol impairment as well.
Vaifo’ou suspended from team, can’t visit campus unaccompanied
Police said Vaifo’ou confirmed the incident and said he didn’t know the students he interacted with.
Vaifo’ou has been suspended from the Utah State University football team as well as all team activities according to a spokeswoman for Utah State University.
Amanda DeRito also said Vaifo’ou has been trespassed from the campus, meaning he cannot be on campus grounds without an escort from USU police.
Resources for USU students
To report a crime happening on the USU campus, call 435-797-1939 or visit this web page.
Learn more about USU’s advocacy resources on this web page.
Today’s Top Stories
- How to have the best of both worlds for your house | Home security and curb appeal
- Ogden man in jail after allegedly shaking 8-week-old baby
- 200-year-old tree explodes in Portland due to heat wave
- Breaking: Teen missing from Layton found safe in Salt Lake City
- UTA releases video of the moments before woman was hit by FrontRunner
- Number of visitors to Arches National Park is on the decline
- Layton Police say search continues for teenager missing from treatment center
- Refinery flares are normal says Utah Department of Environmental Quality
- Woman dies after being struck by FrontRunner in Salt Lake City
- Utah reaction to the FBI search of Trump’s Mar-a-Lago estate