Police identify, arrest suspect in Murray shooting caught on video
MURRAY, Utah — Police have identified and arrested the suspect they believe to be responsible for a shooting on Main Street in Murray, killing one person.
Officers arrested Patrick Koaneil Brown without incident, according to Murray police.
Detectives booked Patrick Koaneil Brown in Salt Lake County Jail on suspicion of first degree murder of Darnell Brown. He was also booked on other assault and weapon charges, according to a news release from the Murray City Police Department.
The victim and suspect are not related.
Police: Cell phone video helped solve Murray shooting
Police said they were able to quickly identify and locate Patrick Koaneil Brown with help from a cell phone video of the Murray shooting from a witness.
“We are grateful for the community support regarding this video and other pertinent information regarding this incident,” the department said in a statement.
Original reporting below:
As police blocked off Main Street just south of 4500 South, several people tearfully approached the crime scene tape, asking officers if their loved one was the victim. They all consoled each other as they reportedly recognized the victim’s vehicle.
However, police were limited in what they were allowed to say. Murray Police Officer Taylor Blauer said the call came into them just after 1:00 P.M., and the suspect was gone by the time they arrived.
Blauer said, “Shortly after our arrival, the victim, in this case, was declared as deceased.”
He also says he was not at liberty to discuss what led up to the shooting or a possible motive since police were still trying to determine those facts. However, Blauer said they didn’t believe there was any further risk to the general public.
“It appears to be an isolated incident, so we’re not concerned that the public is in danger,” Blauer said.
Investigators said they’re speaking with witnesses and gathering as much photographic evidence as they can.
“Our detectives will be following up with nearby businesses, any that have cameras, as well any residents that may have video footage of what happened,” Blauer said. “We ask that anyone in the public that may have any information on this incident reach out to us through our dispatch. We’ll get an officer in touch with them.”
Later in the afternoon, officers identified the victim as 39-year-old Darnell Brown. Police arrested a suspect and executed a search warrant on his apartment.
Today’s Top Stories
- Sugar House locals worry 2100 South poses threat to safety and business
- Staff member at school in southern Utah arrested for alleged sexual abuse
- Confrontation with bicyclist sends UTA bus driver to hospital
- 21-year-old woman killed in Provo hit-and-run
- Salt Lake City Police Department hosts holiday Pay-it-Forward event
- Authorities swat down rumors surrounding unsolved killings of 4 University of Idaho students
- Former American Fork soccer coach arrested on charges of child sexual abuse
- Is forcing the homeless into treatment the answer?
- Fire in West Valley City home contained to one room in basement
- 12 Mason Jar Gift Ideas for the 12 Days of Christmas [with recipes!]