POLITICS + GOVERNMENT
Utah County GOP elects Amelia Powers Gardner new county commissioner
SALT LAKE CITY — Members of the Utah County Republican Party Central Committee have elected Amelia Powers Gardner to fill a seat on the Utah County Commission.
In a statement, a Gardner spokesman said that Amelia Powers is poised to become the first female county commissioner in Utah County history.
Pending official action on the part of the Utah County board of commissioners, Amelia Powers is poised to become the first female county commissioner in Utah County history.
Gardner previously served as the Utah County Clerk/Auditor.
Gardner won with 55% of the delegate votes (204 out of 373) reported the Daily Herald. The final vote came after several rounds of ranked-choice voting.
The special election became necessary in March when Ainge accepted a position with the administration of newly elected Governor Spencer Cox. Cox nominated Ainge to sit on the Governor’s Economic Development Board.
At the virtual convention, the Utah County GOP also elected new leadership:
- Chair: Skyler Beltran
- Vice Chair: Mac Sims
- Secretary: Karen Ellingson
- Treasurer: Kirby Glad
Utah County passes mask mandate effective immediately
Anti-mask crowd fills Utah County Commission meeting on mask mandate, meeting abruptly called off
Candidates for Utah commission say growth is biggest issue
We want to hear from you.
Have a story idea or tip? Send it to the KSL NewsRadio team here.
Today’s Top Stories
- Arrest made after fatal Logan Canyon crash
- Additional sex charges filed against Utah businessman; more victims possible
- Lawyer: Trump indicted; 1st ex-president charged with crime
- Multiple Utah schools received fake reports of school shooting, officials say
- Utah company with ties to polygamous group cited for violating child labor laws
- Utah drought conditions see “significant” improvement
- Nine soldiers killed after Army helicopters crash in Kentucky
- Former Unified police chief discusses how police respond to copycat situations
- Elk herd returns to SLC golf course after multiple relocation attempts
- The search for the caller behind Utah’s 13 school hoaxes