Plan would put treated wastewater on the ski slopes
YELLOWSTONE, Montana — A ski resort just north of Yellowstone National Park is asking for approval to use wastewater to turn into artificial snow for the ski slopes.
The Yellowstone Club is asking Montana environmental quality officials to allow them to use wastewater for snow-making operations. They say it’s a win-win – they could open on time by making more snow, it would take care of the resort’s wastewater volumes, and it would save the streams and watershed.
Supporters say it is safe, even if you wipe out and get a bunch in your face.
But others say they haven’t studied everything, like whether treatment removes pharmaceuticals and traces of prescription drugs.
About a dozen other ski resorts in the US have tried using treated wastewater to make artificial snow, though it was not without controversy at a resort near Flagstaff, Arizona a few years back.
The Yellowstone Club already uses treated wastewater to hydrate its golf courses. They say this would really be used early in the ski season to help get a base layer on the resort slopes. By December people would be skiing on natural snow.
But they would have to post signs not to consume the snow.
If they get approval, they could start in late 2022.
You can see the full report here.
Paint by Powder: Skier makes art from snow to help draw attention to environment
We want to hear from you.
Have a story idea or tip? Send it to the KSL NewsRadio team here.
Today’s Top Stories
- Arrest made after fatal Logan Canyon crash
- Additional sex charges filed against Utah businessman; more victims possible
- Multiple Utah schools received fake reports of school shooting, officials say
- Nine soldiers killed after Army helicopters crash in Kentucky
- Former Unified police chief discusses how police respond to copycat situations
- Elk herd returns to SLC golf course after multiple relocation attempts
- Ogden High School community reacts to active shooter hoax
- Alpine School District exploring potential closure of 5 elementary schools
- Where to get your free sandbags to help mitigate flooding
- Utah’s online marriage licensing gets attention all over the world