Several pigs dead after falling out of trailer on freeway
SUNSET, Utah — Traffic came to a standstill Friday afternoon on the freeway in Sunset, when an estimated 8 – 10 pigs fell out of a trailer and onto the southbound lanes of traffic.
Utah Highway Patrol Corporal Andy Battenfield said two or three of the pigs perished in the fall near 2300 North on I-15 in Sunset. A vehicle struck another pig, damaging the vehicle and killing that pig.
Most of the remaining pigs were rescued without incident. Battenfield said at least one pig remains at large. They know where it is; troopers say it is not currently in danger and they hope to wear it out and wrangle it.
Battenfield believes a gate on the trailer may have come open without the driver noticing.
“The truck and trailer, we’re not sure where they are,” Battenfield said. “They kept going. I’m sure they’ll discover that they’re missing their cargo at some point and give us a call.”
Crews stopped traffic while rounding up the surviving pigs, but reopened all freeway lanes shortly afterward.
We want to hear from you.
Have a story idea or tip? Send it to the KSL NewsRadio team here.
Today’s Top Stories
- Body found at 600N, I-15 Southbound
- Robbery at swap meet leaves one victim shaken up
- Clearfield power and traffic alert
- KSL EXCLUSIVE: “It’s been a punch to the gut,” Woods Cross mom of boy…
- Salt Lake carjacking suspect dead, investigation continues
- Woods Cross man charged for allegedly secretly recording others in bathroom
- Full interlodge in effect for Alta and Snowbird ski area
- Winter-like temperatures sticking around
- What you can do about snow mold in your lawn
- The Salt Lake Temple renovation has a new completion date