DENTON, Texas– Two missionaries serving for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints were killed in a traffic accident in Texas yesterday.
Elder Luke Masakazu Carter, 18, of Springville Utah, and Elder Eli Jon Fowler, 20, of Pueblo West, Colorado were involved in a head-on collision while driving in Denton, Texas.
The church said the accident happened during a heavy rainstorm and that it is currently being investigated by local law enforcement. Both missionaries were wearing their seatbelts. The driver of the other vehicle involved is currently in the hospital.
Church spokesman Sam Penrod said, “We express our love and deepest sympathies to the family and friends of Elder Carter and Elder Fowler and to the missionaries in the Texas Fort Worth Mission. We pray that all will be uplifted by the Savior’s love and feel comfort during this difficult and trying time.”
Elder Carter started missionary service in November 2020, and Elder Fowler began his service in January 2020.
This story is breaking and will be updated
Today’s Top Stories
- Ogden police investigating death of 41-year-old man
- Wind, rain and snow will cause problems for Utahns
- Roy police officer arrested on suspicion of child sex abuse
- Shiba inu coin, a meme cryptocurrency, hits all-time high
- Crew member yelled ‘cold gun’ as he handed Alec Baldwin prop weapon, court…
- Moderna says its low-dose COVID shot works for kids 6 to 11
- I-80 road restrictions in place due to high winds
- $24 billion in goods is floating outside California’s biggest ports
- 13-year-old body recovered from Fish Lake
- Police are looking for a suspect after fatal shooting in SLC