Two Latter-day Saint Missionaries killed in Texas
DENTON, Texas– Two missionaries serving for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints were killed in a traffic accident in Texas yesterday.
Elder Luke Masakazu Carter, 18, of Springville Utah, and Elder Eli Jon Fowler, 20, of Pueblo West, Colorado were involved in a head-on collision while driving in Denton, Texas.
The church said the accident happened during a heavy rainstorm and that it is currently being investigated by local law enforcement. Both missionaries were wearing their seatbelts. The driver of the other vehicle involved is currently in the hospital.
Church spokesman Sam Penrod said, “We express our love and deepest sympathies to the family and friends of Elder Carter and Elder Fowler and to the missionaries in the Texas Fort Worth Mission. We pray that all will be uplifted by the Savior’s love and feel comfort during this difficult and trying time.”
Elder Carter started missionary service in November 2020, and Elder Fowler began his service in January 2020.
This story is breaking and will be updated
Today’s Top Stories
- Five Common Causes of Cervical Cancer – and What You Can Do to Lower Your Risk
- Utah snowpack at a 10-year-high
- Utah Corrections offers more details on recent assaults against officers
- Course certification now required for OHV driving on Utah public land
- Home schools and micro-schooling defined under new Utah bill
- Engineer who refused to approve Challenger launch dies in Ogden
- Backcountry skier dead after fatal fall in Little Cottonwood Canyon
- Two employees found unconscious at Northrop Grumman, died later at hospital
- Biden to test run his reelection message in his first State of the Union to a divided Congress
- Man’s arm partially amputated by farm equipment Tuesday afternoon