Authorities say one person is dead, another arrested in Kearns shooting
KEARNS, Utah — Police arrested a suspect and are investigating a murder after a man was shot and killed Thursday night near 4069 West and 5500 South in Kearns.
Fatal shooting in Kearns due to “previous arrangement”
Unified police detective Ken Hansen tells KSL.com the shooting took place just after 9 p.m.
He says an argument over a “previous arrangement” between two men led to the shooting, which took place in a street near the address.
— Shara Park (@KSLSharaPark) May 21, 2021
Victim passes away at the hospital
Cops say the man who was shot was initially taken to a hospital in critical condition, although he later died from his injuries. The deceased individual has only been identified as a 46-year-old man. The name of the victim has not been released at this time.
Witnesses at the shooting directed police to 58-year-old James Tom Hollingshead and claimed he was possibly the suspect in the shooting.
According to detective Hansen, cops later located Hollingshead at his Draper home. He told police he got into a dispute with a coworker and had to defend himself.
Suspect admits to Kearns shooting, arrested by police
Once he was in custody, Hollingshead later admitted to shooting the victim three times in the chest. He also told police that he threw away three bullet casings in a gas station trash can before returning home.
Early Friday morning, Hollingshead was booked into the Salt Lake County Jail for investigation of murder, possession of a dangerous weapon by a restricted person and obstruction of justice, according to the jail report.
Detective Hansen doesn’t believe Hollingshead was injured in the shooting. So far, police have not elaborated on the “previous arrangement” they believe led to the shooting, although they have noted it did not involve drugs.
Today’s Top Stories
- Update: Some I-15 lanes reopen after hazmat spill in Bluffdale
- After celebrity death to colon cancer, Utah doctor weighs in on colonoscopy
- Provo Police looking for information about two cars in deadly hit-and-run
- SWAT standoff in Tooele ends peacefully, no further threat to public
- WNBA star Brittney Griner released from Russian detention in prisoner swap for convicted arms dealer
- Sundance Film Festival is seeking volunteers for 2023 event
- Natural Resources helicopter crashes in San Juan County, no injuries
- Two Utah experts talk about prisoner swap for WNBA player Brittney Griner
- West Jordan Elementary School is closing its gates after 40 years
- Downtown Ogden expansion project begins finalizing plans