Draper couple “grateful” after surviving plane crash in Bear Lake County
DRAPER, Utah — A Draper couple says they’re lucky to be alive after their small plane crashed prior to reaching the runway.
Draper couple make a crash landing in Bear Lake County
Todd and Heidi Eldredge were flying from Salt Lake City to Jackson Hole, Wyoming on Saturday when the plane’s oil temperature started heating up.
Things then went from bad to worse when they lost their engine near Bear Lake County Airport.
“I’ve had a few interesting incidents, but certainly never a crash landing before,” Todd Eldredge told KSL-TV while in the hospital. “About 500 feet above ground, it was evident that we were not going to make it, so I told my wife I loved her. I held her hand and told her to brace because this was going to be a rough one.”
The plane eventually went down and hit a fence post in the process. Eldredge says they were lucky to have landed in a marsh, surrounded by water. When they did go down, he says a number of people nearby rushed to help.
“You would’ve had to have been there to see how wonderful these people were,” said Eldredge.
The Federal Aviation Administration is investigating a plane crash that occurred in Bear Lake County this weekend, where two Utahns walked away.https://t.co/xQ2XxFt560
— KSL (@KSLcom) May 31, 2021
A pair of broken backs, but lucky to still be alive
The couple was initially taken to a local hospital and then transferred to the University of Utah Hospital.
They both suffered a broken back, but will be able to recover from the comfort of home.
Todd Eldredge calls the experience surreal and reiterates how lucky they are to be alive.
“First thing we did was held each other’s hands,” he explained. “I kissed her hand and said, ‘Hey, we’re OK.'”
Today’s Top Stories
- One person killed in wrong-way head-on collision on I-15 near Beck Street
- Bill would allow individuals to become teachers without a bachelor’s degree
- Utah mom shares grocery budgeting tips
- SLCPD arrest two people in connection to a Wednesday shooting
- One person dead following a stabbing in Salt Lake City suspect still at large
- Five Common Causes of Cervical Cancer – and What You Can Do to Lower Your Risk
- Fake nursing diploma scheme in Florida; 25 arrested
- Eyeing retirement: How much money is enough after you leave a job?
- Suspect arrested and named, victim identified after shooting in Taylorsville
- Two employees found unconscious at Northrop Grumman, died later at hospital