First-ever all female built house showcased in Saratoga Springs
SARATOGA SPRINGS, Utah — A first-of-its-kind house on display in Saratoga Springs was designed, engineered and built by an all-female crew.
Female homebuilders converge at Saratoga Springs house
The idea behind the first ever all-female built home — “The House that SHE built” — originated about three years ago.
“We had 25 to 30 people at our very first meeting … all women,” said Kristin Smith, founder of The House that SHE built. “The very next meeting we decided that we wanted to build an all woman-built house.”
According to her, they didn’t just want to simply construct a home in the Wander community of Saratoga Springs. Rather, they wanted to showcase skilled tradeswomen and their amazing abilities.
They held their groundbreaking in September, then displayed the finished project Friday.
“This is the first-of-its-kind,” said Smith. “It’s the first all skilled labor women-built house.”
To ensure the involvement of women at every stage of the project, they brought in some help from out of the state.
“We have painters, a woman that did the rock on the outside, the roof, the framing, pouring concrete [and] we had tilers,” she explained. “We had women come from all outside the state.”
Building a home and leaving a lasting legacy
Beyond creating a beautiful new two-story home, Smith hopes their work leaves a lasting legacy. Specifically, she wants to inspire young girls to pursue careers as skilled tradeswomen.
Smith said not only will more female homebuilders serve to empower women, but it should immediately have a positive impact on the current labor shortage.
“Our vision is to show other girls, and honestly other women, that there is somebody doing these jobs … so they can aspire or see themselves doing it as well,” said Smith.
More to read:
- Utah’s economy projected to bounce back, but not fully unless women return to workforce
- Facebook COO Sheryl Sandberg talks Utah data center, women at work
- Statue of the first female lawmaker stands tall at Utah’s State Capitol
Today’s Top Stories
- Missing girl from Arizona found in West Valley basement
- Utah County men facing charges for defrauding the United States
- AirMed responds to tubing accident in Peter Sinks, Logan
- A Utah lawmaker and her sister at odds: Should rape victims need to contact police before…
- Elk herd again on the move near Foothill Drive and Parley’s Canyon
- Intermountain’s 40-year study provides insight into weight-loss surgery
- Fake nursing diploma scheme in Florida; 25 arrested
- UHP arrests man suspected of trafficking New England teen
- US military has shot down the Chinese spy balloon off US East Coast, US official says
- Don’t put dogs in truck beds, Utah Humane Society says