SALT LAKE CITY — The Salt Lake City school district is responding to a drive-by shooting in Salt Lake City early Sunday morning that lead to the death of 20-year-old Sean Amone and injured four other people.
According to Larry Madden, Superintendent of the SLC School District, all five people who were shot are members of the SLC School District community.
“Two of the victims are 2021 West High School graduates, one is a former Highland High School graduate,” Madden said in a statement, “and the other two young people, including the person who was fatally shot, are both former West High School graduates.
As parents and guardians, we ask you to please keep an eye on your student in the coming days and weeks. This is a critical time, especially given that school is about to let out for the summer. Our school counseling teams will available at all district schools tomorrow, Monday, June 7, for any student who may need support,” the statement from Madden continued.
An investigation continues, but Salt Lake City Police say that Amone’s death has been classified as a homicide.
They ask anyone with information about this morning’s drive-by shooting to call (801) 799-3000 and reference case 21-96966.
Help is available
Madden indicated that Amone’s death may cause other young people to try and take matters into their own hands. He asked parents to keep an eye on their children and to offer them an opportunity for counseling if the parent sees a child is struggling with their emotions involving this fatal drive-by shooting.
The Salt Lake City School District’s Student Services Department is also available to help parents. Please call 801-578-8206, or visit this web page.
And he reminded parents of the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline, which is 1-800-273-TALK (8255)
Police say that there was an unknown amount of people who had gathered outside a home near 1300 N General Drive.
Around 1:45 a.m. a white sedan drove by and shots were fired at the gathering of people from the vehicle.
Police are not sure of the relationship of the people who were gathering in front of the home.
Much is still unknown about the suspects and they are still at large.
Each victim was male between the ages of 19-20 years old and the deceased victim is confirmed by police to be 20 years old.
Each victim was transported to various hospitals each in different degrees of severity of their condition.
Currently, each of the four victims is expected to survive.
I have an idea for a future in-depth report. How do I tell you about it?
Today’s Top Stories
- Arizona couple drowns at Deer Creek Reservoir, neither wearing life vest
- Father drowns at Pineview trying to retrieve son
- Utah Adventures Are Waiting for Your Student | Experience One of the Best Summer School…
- 7 things you didn’t know about ketamines for pain, depression, stress, and recovery…
- 6 common questions about treasury management services
- School suspends social media accounts, district investigates reason for leaving student out…
- Southeastern Idaho has surprising and fun adventures for the whole family and you need to…
- How the 2020 recession in the US is affecting Americans in 2021 and into the future –…
- John Stockton, Jazz legend, appears in anti-vaccine documentary trailer
- Namath excited for Zach Wilson, says Jets fans ‘deserve’ a title