HEBER, Utah — The Utah Highway Patrol (UHP) reports that three people were killed in two vehicles after a chain-reaction crash at US-189 and 3000 South Monday afternoon.
The crash stopped traffic in both directions for several hours.
KSL 5 TV reporter Andrew Adams said that the crash began when a Jeep slowed down abruptly, causing a rear-end collision with a red truck.
After the crash, the Jeep caught fire which set another vehicle on fire which had t-boned the Jeep during the chain reaction crash.
Adams reports that the UHP was working late Monday night to identify those who died in the fire through the vehicles’ identification numbers.
Officials with Utah Highway Patrol say an investigation is already ongoing to hopefully determine what caused the fire.
“There wasn’t an obvious reason, at least on the scene at the time,” explained Lt. Nick Street to KSL Newsradio’s Dave & Dujanovic.
When asked about a gas can potentially igniting the flames, he said it largely remains to be seen.
“That didn’t appear to be an obvious reason, but definitely something our investigation is going to focus on,” he explained.
Driver Alert: Both directions of US-189 at MP 26, just west of the Heber airport, in Charleston are closed. Motorists should expect delay. Check the UDOT Traffic App or @waze for updates. @UDOTRegionthree @UtahTrucking @UtahDOT
— UDOT Traffic (@UDOTTRAFFIC) June 8, 2021
He adds that according to eyewitnesses, flames were visible pretty quickly after the initial crash occurred.
On the idea of a vehicle defect being at fault, he says it’s something they’ll keep an eye out for.
“If there is something obviously to do with manufacturing or a defect, we will communicate effectively with the Jeep manufacturer,” he said.
Today’s Top Stories
- Arizona couple drowns at Deer Creek Reservoir, neither wearing life vest
- Father drowns at Pineview trying to retrieve son
- Utah Adventures Are Waiting for Your Student | Experience One of the Best Summer School…
- How the 2020 recession in the US is affecting Americans in 2021 and into the future –…
- 7 things you didn’t know about ketamines for pain, depression, stress, and recovery…
- 6 common questions about treasury management services
- Cedar City Utah is your next weekend vacation | 6 awesome outdoor adventures you and your…
- Salt Lake officer-involved shooting deemed as justified
- School suspends social media accounts, district investigates reason for leaving student out…
- John Stockton, Jazz legend, appears in anti-vaccine documentary trailer