Share this story...
fire moab
Latest News

Human-caused fire near Moab leads to evacuations

Pack Creek Fire south of Moab. (Utah Fire Info)
MOAB, Utah– A fire burning south of Moab Thursday afternoon has been found to be human-caused. The Pack Creek Fire was started by an unattended campfire, according to responding authorities.
 
A mix of dry vegetation and winds caused the fire to spread quickly, destroying on structure in the midst. Many other structures are threatened by the blaze. In response to the fire, all homes in the Pack Creek Community have been evacuated. 
 
 
So far, the Pack Creek Fire has burned approximately 400 acres and is 0% contained. Due to the dangerous nature of the fire, ground crews have been disengaged. Currently, one crew team, two helicopters, and six trucks have been deployed to contain the fire. 
 
A Red Flag warning is in effect until 10 pm Thursday. 
 

 

 
La Sal Loop Road is closed from Pack Creek to Geyser Pass as crews respond to the flames. For those temporarily displaced from their homes, a shelter is being set up at the La Sal Community Center. If you need to utilize this shelter please contact the San Juan County Sheriff’s Office at 435-587-2237.