Originally Published: 12 JUN 21 17:23 ET
In a lengthy Instagram post Saturday, Archuleta said he came out as gay to his family in 2014, but then had similar feelings for both genders, suggesting “a spectrum of bisexual.” He added he doesn’t “have too much (sic) sexual desires and urges as most people,” noting “asexual” is a term referred to people who “don’t experience sexual urges.”
Archuleta, 30, said it’s uncomfortable for him to share this personal aspect of his life, but he wanted to bring more awareness to people in a similar situation.
He said people shouldn’t have to choose between being LGBTQIA+ and believing in God.
“I just invite you to please consider making room to be more understanding and compassionate to those who are LGBTQIA+, and those who are a part of that community and trying to find that balance with their faith which also is a huge part of their identity like myself,” he wrote. “For me to find peace the reality has been to accept both are real things I experience and make who I am.”
Archuleta was born in Miami and moved to Sandy, Utah when he was six years old. He attended Murray High School, is a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, and served a full-time mission for his faith in Chile.
In 2008, he finished in second place on the reality talent show, American Idol.
™ & © 2021 Cable News Network, Inc., a WarnerMedia Company. All rights reserved.
Today’s Top Stories
- A two-vehicle accident in northern Utah claims one life
- Fire burning at old Diamond Lil’s, set for destruction on Sunday
- Instagram user says she saw Petito and Laundrie in Wyoming restaurant
- Board of Education to investigate Cline post on Racial Healing Group
- Police say witness beat up minister for inappropriately touching a child at an OK bus stop
- Utah Jazz require COVID-19 vaccine or negative test for fans, new rule sparks heated reaction
- Utah Jazz add Holly Rowe to TV broadcast team
- Utah man has sights on a record-breaking pumpkin
- Mental health magnet being mailed to Alpine District parents
- Boyfriend of slain Gabby Petito charged with bank card fraud