Yum Yum food truck back in business after act of vandalism
Correction: Dan Workman and his company Identity Graphx, donated the wrap to the owners of the World Famous Yum Yum Food Truck. We apologize for the previous reporting that indicated otherwise.
SALT LAKE CITY — The owner of a popular food truck was back in business on Saturday, feeding a long line of people at a celebration of Philippine Independence Day in Jordan Park.
It wasn’t COVID-19 restrictions that hampered the truck owner in recent days. Instead, it was anti-Asian graffiti that had been sprayed on the truck on June 5.
“The words were definitely slur words and really insulting words,” said Erin Cotter, who does marketing for the family-owned Filipino food truck.
By Saturday, the truck had been re-wrapped, thanks to a donation by Dan Workman and his company Identity Graphx. Other offers of help were made to the family by Jazz player Jordan Clarkson who has Filipino heritage.
Cotter told KSL that the truck was parked at 1860 North 285 West in Layton on the evening of June 5. When she woke up Sunday, white spray paint graffiti nearly covered it.
One of the people in the crowd on Saturday was Clint Morris, a Layton City Council member. He told KSL 5 TV he was glad to see the truck back to serving the community.
“This could have hapened anywhere,” Morris told KSL TV. “Unfortunately it happened in Layton City.
I think we all need to be more kind. We need to be more sensitive to others and not allow this to happen. This just has to stop.”
An active police investigation continues, and a reward has been offered for information that leads to an arrest.
Today’s Top Stories
- Man crashes into Ogden Taco Bell drive-thru window
- American Red Cross of Utah seeks volunteers in central Utah
- Walmart shooter left ‘death note,’ bought gun day of killing
- Clearfield Police identify victims in Wednesday’s double homicide
- First Presidency issues 2022 Christmas message
- Vehicle collides with unoccupied building in Roy, no injuries
- One person dies on hike at Zion National Park, another hospitalized
- Montana man gets 3 years in prison for role in Capitol riot
- The best tools for Deaf and hard-of-hearing workplace success
- Grandson of two found dead at a home in Clearfield facing murder charges