Evacuation order expanded in area of Pack Creek Fire
MOAB, Utah — The San Juan County Sheriff’s Office has ordered the evacuation of all private property in and around the area east of Geyser Pass on the LaSal Mountains.
The evacuation order includes Blue Lake down through the Dark Canyon area.
In a statement to KSL, Sheriff Jason Torgerson said that the Pack Creek Fire had breached Geyser Pass road, and that for the safety of all citizens, the evacuations were ordered.
“We ask that you evacuate at this time while it is safe to do so,” the statement continued. “Failure to evacuate at this time is at your own risk and your safety cannot be guaranteed.”
Earlier Sunday afternoon, Utah Fire Info reported that the fight against the Pack Creek Fire continued on “accessible portions of the fire in steep and rugged terrain.”
Firefighters continue to work on accessible portions of the fire in steep & rugged terrain. With current weather and fire behavior, we expect large fire growth on the #PackCreekFire. Video from Rob Kephart, @ml_nf
South Zone Fire Management Officer. pic.twitter.com/uqoRuFmPe4
— Utah Fire Info (@UtahWildfire) June 13, 2021
The Pack Creek Fire is burning southeast of Moab, Utah, in what is described as live, but dry pinyon/juniper fuels in steep rugged canyons. This fire was human-caused by an abandoned campfire. On Sunday afternoon it was estimated to have consumed nearly 5,000 acres.
Today’s Top Stories
- Lockout lifted for Hunter High and Hunter Elementary Schools
- Home schools and micro-schooling defined under new Utah bill
- GoFundMe created for passing of two employees at Northrop Grumman
- Full-sized Target coming to former Dillard’s at Provo’s Towne Centre
- Utah hasn’t had this much snowfall since 2011, according to NWS
- Utah gas prices spike, Governor blames regional supply
- Lawyers say new Petito photos prove Moab Police ignored evidence of abuse
- One dead after four-vehicles crash on U.S. Highway-40
- Missing girl from Arizona found in West Valley basement
- Utah snowpack at a 10-year-high