Juneteenth is an annual holiday that commemorates the end of slavery in the United States.
— Utah Gov. Spencer J. Cox (@GovCox) June 17, 2021
The government has the power to make it a state holiday via a proclamation, but a Senate spokesperson said the proclamation would have to be declared every year thereafter.
Some businesses remain open on Juneteenth
Despite Juneteenth being a federal holiday, some agencies will still be open. The United States Postal Service (USPS) will also remain open.
In a statement, USPS said, “It is not possible to cease the operations of the Postal Service to accommodate an observance over the next 24-48 hours.” USPS is critical to the nation’s infrastructure and people depend on their services to receive mail.
“Closing down our operations without providing appropriate time would lead to operational disruptions and be a disservice to our customers and those who rely upon us. For that reason, the Postal Service will be operating on June 18 and 19, 2021, on a normal schedule, serving our customers to the best of our ability,” USPS continued.
Some state employees will also have to work.
Additionally, the federal courts will be open in Utah for appointments and jail transports. These could not be canceled on the short notice provided by President Biden signing the bill into law on Thursday.
The office of the United States Attorney for Utah said if they did cancel those appointments it could affect people’s constitutional rights.
Juneteenth events in Salt Lake County
Juneteenth in Utah this weekend is going to be packed with events. Check the pictures below for all of the tea of what is going on! Hope to see you all there! If you happen to run into the director take a pic with him and tag the BCC and you’ll be in the running for a Amazon card pic.twitter.com/RwmYGFnA7a
— Black Cultural Center, University of Utah (@uofubcc) June 14, 2021
32nd annual Heritage and Freedom Festival- Ogden, UT
Summer of Love Juneteenth Event- Salt Lake City, UT
First annual Juneteenth Gala- Salt Lake City, UT
Juneteenth Block Party- Salt Lake City, UT
Juneteenth at Liberty Park- Salt Lake City, UT
Juneteenth at The Complex- Salt Lake City, UT
Juneteenth: A celebration of Black voices- Salt Lake City, UT
Today’s Top Stories
- A two-vehicle accident in northern Utah claims one life
- Fire burning at old Diamond Lil’s, set for destruction on Sunday
- Instagram user says she saw Petito and Laundrie in Wyoming restaurant
- Board of Education to investigate Cline post on Racial Healing Group
- Police say witness beat up minister for inappropriately touching a child at an OK bus stop
- Utah Jazz require COVID-19 vaccine or negative test for fans, new rule sparks heated reaction
- Utah Jazz add Holly Rowe to TV broadcast team
- Utah man has sights on a record-breaking pumpkin
- Mental health magnet being mailed to Alpine District parents
- Boyfriend of slain Gabby Petito charged with bank card fraud