BRIGHAM CITY, Utah — A fire burning late Saturday morning in Brigham City was caused by a Mylar balloon.
Brigham City fire said they were called to the fire at 600 East and 500 South, at the base of what they called “radio tower hill” at 11:30 a.m., and when they arrived they found a fast-moving fire that had spread to within feet of cars and a building.
The fire started when a Mylar balloon was blown into a power line which caused the line to arc. Flaming pieces of the balloon then fell into the weeds below.
Brigham City fire crews arrived on the scene quickly, they said in a statement. No vehicles were damaged and the building sustained only scorched brick.
“Most importantly,” the statement continued, “the millions of dollars of infrastructure on radio tower hill remained unaffected and operational.”
The area of the fire on Saturday included high voltage power lines and electrical substations as well as emergency communication equipment.
Annual fireworks restrictions go into effect in Brigham City on July 1. Those restrictions include open fires anywhere but in approved campgrounds, smoking except within an enclosed vehicle or building or developed recreation site, discharging fireworks, and operating equipment without spark arresters. More information is available here.
Today’s Top Stories
- Pioneer Day Parade: Road closures, times, and how to watch
- Church missionaries killed in head-on collision
- Fun facts about the Olympics
- How to watch every single event at the Tokyo Olympics
- St. George police officer dead after a two-week battle with COVID-19
- To keep your green lawn during drought, listen to the pro
- West Jordan standoff between police and barricaded man
- Salt Lake City creates tiny home design contest as possible housing shortage solution
- Secondary water shutdown coming to parts of Davis and Weber Counties
- How the city of Mapleton managed to avoid a flooding disaster