SALT LAKE CITY — A father drowned at Pineview Reservoir on Sunday afternoon. The 37-year-old man, who was not wearing a life-jacket, disappeared as he swam in the Middle Inlet area of the reservoir trying to retrieve his son who was on a flotation device.
The Weber County Sheriff’s office said a bystander successfully retrieved the child after the father did not resurface.
Weber County Search and Rescue began a search that included a Life Flight helicopter. The body was found not long after the search began.
The man’s identity has not yet been released.
“The Weber County Sheriff’s Office would like to extend our condolences to the family,” said a statement from the Sheriff’s office.
This story will be updated.
A lucky escape
At the Jordanelle Reservior in Weber County, a teenager is recovering from a near drowning.
Officials stated three people were using a pool-toy to float in the lake when a 14-year old girl, who was not wearing a life-jacket, began struggling to stay afloat and she slipped under the water.
Witnesses say bystanders brought her to shore and administered CPR. She did revive and was taken to a local hospital where she was cleared.
Today’s Top Stories
- Pioneer Day Parade: Road closures, times, and how to watch
- Two Church missionaries killed in head-on collision
- Fun facts about the Olympics
- St. George police officer dead after a two-week battle with COVID-19
- How to watch every single event at the Tokyo Olympics
- Man arrested after reportedly opening fire and barricading himself in West Jordan home
- To keep your green lawn during drought, listen to the pro
- Salt Lake City creates tiny home design contest as possible housing shortage solution
- Secondary water shutdown coming to parts of Davis and Weber Counties
- How the city of Mapleton managed to avoid a flooding disaster